Mama Cat Really Hungry But Has Digestive Issues

raszpberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I adopted my cat Mari from a shelter in late February. Although her chart indicated she was spayed, she kept gaining weight and we eventually realized she was pregnant. Whoops! She had 6 adorable kittens who we are now fostering until they hit 8 weeks, and the shelter will adopt them out.

However, from the start, Mari has had digestive issues. When she was pregnant, she was always hungry (trying to eat and get into our food), but had very soft stool, and had a few bouts of diarrhea. At that point, I was feeding her dry kitten food and some Nutro cuts in gravy. She doesn’t like pate style wet food.

After the kittens were born, she lost weight really fast. I tried to feed her some different wet foods to see if she would like them better, but she would gobble them up, then get diarrhea, vomit, get dehydrated, and refuse to eat for 12 hours or so. I tried yogurt, KMR, probiotics - nothing worked. Or maybe I switched them up too quickly??

I took her to the vet and they gave me anti nausea medicine but no real ideas.

Now, she’s been eating dry food and her poop is okay. But she hates it and will leave food in the bowl, wander around crying and try to get into our food while we’re sleeping. Again last night I tried to introduce wet food, which she inhaled, but then vomited and got diarrhea.

Do I keep feeding the same wet food and wait it out? Will her digestion calm down when the kittens wean?

I just want her to gain some weight and not be hungry all the time, plus it would be nice if her poop wasn’t so stinky!

Thanks for your advice.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what type of wet food are you feeding her? my sister had a cat that had the same issue, it was awful and they thought they might lose her. They put her on a rabbit only cat food and it helped, as the kittens got older it went away and now she can practically eat everything without issues. I hope you can help the sweet girl, she must feel terrible

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try going slow with the wet food? Like start with a tablespoon. And yes which wet food?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nice tip. Tx! To observe; rabbit meat contains suprising low level of taurine. So unless this brand doenst has added taurine (it probably has), and you use solely or mainly rabbit meat, you must yourself add taurine. There is taurine to buy.

my sister had a cat that had the same issue, it was awful and they thought they might lose her. They put her on a rabbit only cat food and it helped, as the kittens got older it went away and now she can practically eat everything without issues. I hope you can help the sweet girl, she must feel terrible

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What human foods do you think she may want - and keep? Its fully possible to have a cat on mainly human food, even if you must put some care on what to give and what proportions. Ie read on... Both different raw variations, and cooked.

You can always try with goats milk, and eggs - especielly the jolk.

What probiotic did you use, exactly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raszpberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what type of wet food are you feeding her? my sister had a cat that had the same issue, it was awful and they thought they might lose her. They put her on a rabbit only cat food and it helped, as the kittens got older it went away and now she can practically eat everything without issues. I hope you can help the sweet girl, she must feel terrible

Thank you, you're too sweet. I just want her to feel better. I'll definitely try the rabbit only food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raszpberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What human foods do you think she may want - and keep? Its fully possible to have a cat on mainly human food, even if you must put some care on what to give and what proportions. Ie read on... Both different raw variations, and cooked.

You can always try with goats milk, and eggs - especielly the jolk.

What probiotic did you use, exactly?
I read one of your comments elsewhere on this forum to give her yogurt, which she loved, but didn't seem to digest well (although it's hard to tell what is causing her issues - it seems a bit random). My vet gave me the probiotics, they're from Purina ProPlan.