Mama cat keeps trying to move kittens?

Mmason110895

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a mama cat with four week old kittens. We dedicated a whole room to mama and babies. It has everything mama needs, her food, water litter box. The kittens are not in a box and I made a nest on the floor with blankets for them. The room has no furniture or anything except Mama's things. We gave them this room to keep our dog away from them, as she tends to play rough and doesn't understand that they are babies. The room never has any lights on, and I only visit them once every day or every other day, for a few minutes I will sit and watch them crawl around and mama will come rub on me and love on me so I know it's not because she feels I am visiting too much. I've read where they feel like the nest is too small or too bright. But as I mentioned, I do not have them in a box or never have the lights on. They have the whole room to roam and play. But now all a sudden mama has been bringing them one by one into my bedroom multiple times a day and will sit them on the floor and look at me and meow. I'm not sure why she is doing this because the dog is always in the bedroom and mama does not like the dog around. She will swat the dog Everytime she gets too close. No one else goes into the room except me and my boyfriend and we don't go in very often and if we do it's for a few minutes to check on them and sit and watch them. Every other senario that I have read as to why she is moving them does not apply to us and our situation. I'm just confused as to why she may be doing this.

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is lonely and wanting you to give her and her kittens more attention. She will need you to start giving her kittens some watered down wet food to help wean them.
She may go into heat soon so now is a good time to try and get an appointment for her to get spayed in a few weeks.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She wants to share her babies with you. She likes to have you around with them. Maybe you should spend a little more time with them in their room, and maybe even bring in some toys. The kittens will like to be playing with toys. I think mama thinks you aren't spending enough time with her and her babies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let her bring the kittens in your room. Let her deal with the dog too. Mama cat knows what she is doing.

Cats do this because instinct tells them it’s time for the kittens to begin exploring, learning about the world, and socializing with humans, and even the dog. They no longer need to be isolated in a room by themselves.

The kittens are getting baby teeth now and need to begin trying soft wet food and kitten chow. They will continue to nurse mom for a few more weeks too. They need a kitten-sized litter pan with non-clumping litter for now, and put them in it a few times a day so they begin to learn.

They do need toys and will begin getting into things, so keep an eye on them! Enjoy this phase while they are so little and cute! :)

P.S. We’d love to see pictures!

M Mmason110895