Mama cat going into heat?

Kitteh Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I am fostering a mama cat and her two baby kittens (babies are about 8w old now). Mama cat is super sweet and loves attention, however, she has started to get VERY vocal. No signs of an illness or discomfort. Food and water intake remains the same. Litter box use unchanged. My thought is perhaps she is going into heat? My previous mama cat fosters didn't do this, so this is new to me. :) One of my female dogs went into heat before she got fixed, so I kind of know what to expect? Maybe?

(BTW - she is safe and secure, no chance for her to get out and pregnant. She and the babies should be going back to the shelter in a couple weeks for their spay/neuter and adoption.)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, most likely her first post-pregnancy estrus cycle. They started again with the pregnant stray I adopted 7 weeks after giving birth. I had her spayed at the end of that cycle, so 8 weeks. Her kittens were done at 12 weeks.

Good your fosters will get fixed soon. Thank you for fostering!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitteh Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding so quickly!

In your experience, how long does the "howling" portion of heat last? (Mama and babies are in my "office" in the house, so I may need to relocate my work area for a little bit so my co-workers and boss don't hear her. LOL!)

Other than having her fixed (which I believe isn't possible at this time), is there anything I can do to help make her more comfortable in this time? I've heard that her nursing can help (and she does still nurse a little bit). Conversely, is there anything I should try to make sure to avoid that may make her uncomfortable?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cycles last about a week. Nursing should help a bit with the hormones, but the answer is to spay. She’s likely to have another cycle two weeks after the first one ends if you still have her.

I don’t know that anything helps with the “calling” that cats do during estrus. It’s awful sounding and I’ve always thought cats feel miserable until it’s over.

Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitteh Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll invest in some ear plugs. :)

Without a doubt, she'll be getting spayed. Just waiting for the shelter to let me know when she and the kittens are ready to come in. Until then, we'll just keep loving on them and keeping them safe (and making sure mama doesn't get out! LOL!) It is amazing how each litter is so different!