Mama Cat Acting Strange On 6th Litter

Caseygirl7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten
Hi, my cat had her 6th litter and they are about 6 in a half weeks old now. She hasn't been eating at all or nearly enough and she hasn't gone to the bathroom in a week or so. She also doesn't leave the corner of my room unless I'm the only one in the room. The other night I watched her try to eat and it seemed like she had a mini seizure. Not sure what to do. Please help! I've never seen her do any of this with the other litters.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is on the older side to still be having kittens (for comparison many professional breeders will spay their queens around 3 or 4 from what I have seen). She might be having complications related to nursing or something unrelated to her kittens. The not eating is an emergency situation as a cat can start having medical complications after 24 hours. Add on the potty problem and you have a potentially life threatening situation. I would take her to the vet immediately. Provide the kittens with some KMR in a bowl mixed with wet kitten food to supplement since they likely are not getting the nutrition they need from mom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caseygirl7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Kieka, its sounds as an emergency, and vet errand asap. Also, give her some extra calcium, something you can give asap... It MAY be a calcium deficiency - but go to the vet anyway!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caseygirl7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thank you very much

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: This sounds like a serious situation for your mama-kitty and I agree with others that your cat needs to go to vet as soon as possible. If you can't get some KMR or PetAg for the kittens, you can try making a homemade formula such as the one found at www.kitten-rescue.com (I use canned goat milk if I can't obtain fresh, raw, whole goat milk)Meanwhile, here is an article that you can look at: Eclampsia (milk fever, puerperal tetany) in Cats - Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment. | Cat Health Collection

Please know that many of us appreciate your situation - many people who own cats do not have much funds or other resources, but be determined, for the sake of your cat & kittens and please keep us updated! There are often options that we can come up with.:vibes: