Male cats that doesn't know how to mount properly

MCOCattery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i currently have 3 male mainecoons im so frustrated on them not knowing how to mate! The 1st one doesn't know how to hold on the female properly, 2nd one holds properly but wont go down and mate, 3rd is just seems uninterested even tho he has mates before and had a litter of kittens. Any help to these toms they just get off uninterested anymore, i really really wish them to know how to mate. They are all over 1 years old and i had even tried experienced females for them and still the same...
before anyone goes on saying how shelters are booming and etc my cats are pedigree cats with papers and im a registered cattery with CFA.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
i currently have 3 male mainecoons im so frustrated on them not knowing how to mate! The 1st one doesn't know how to hold on the female properly, 2nd one holds properly but wont go down and mate, 3rd is just seems uninterested even tho he has mates before and had a litter of kittens. Any help to these toms they just get off uninterested anymore, i really really wish them to know how to mate. They are all over 1 years old and i had even tried experienced females for them and still the same...
before anyone goes on saying how shelters are booming and etc my cats are pedigree cats with papers and im a registered cattery with CFA.
To digress a little; here we see an explanation why aggressive toms are sometimes accepted. The mating isnt pleasant, looks almost as r.pe, but they at least know how to do, and there becomes kittens...
And thus, if you happen to have a gentle stud whom is still a good courtier and know how to do it; take care of him, even if he isnt of show standard... Especielly as gentle studs do tend to get gentle kittens with good psyche. (and yeah, that is why we let our boys do their stud service).

In your situation... It MAY help to show them how to do it... Say, let the third whom knows how to do it, let him mate so they see it.
Or even, let them see films... In fact, I saw this tip somewhere... Many cats DO recognize what is happening on TV, we know it because they are usually extra intressed of films about animals. Or even, you and hubby may try to give them example: do it catwise. thought :)

Also, letting the female be with the male, not hurrying them... Even several days... If they are gentle with each other, the chance is good he will catch on...

You dont tell if you try out what happens in one hour, and that is all, or if you let them try several days running... Our Ancestor usually took his time, as he was a gentle courting... Our other studs, his descendants, were quicker.

I know the breeder of our Ancestor, did so with his uncle...Let him be with his wife a full week. But after several days Aragorn got the idea, and there become excellent kittens...

(ours were / are Russian Blue, and we had hire sword stud service to the comminity of RB breeders in Sweden, Norway and Finland.... There were also others too, of course.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MCOCattery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your tip i think ill start by letting them watch the videos first and see how it goes since the female stopped on heat so it's probably a good chance for him to learn how to properly does it 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MCOCattery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's possible there is something wrong with her medically. Can you touch her?
I have tried with multiple females which had kittens too im pretty sure its the male doesn't really know how to mount properly

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she at the proper stage of her heat cycle? most feamles won't let them mate if they are not. if she is receptive I would just let them be together more, several days. Maybe they could be TOO familiar with each other? Keep them separated until she comes into heat again and see if that helps, they come back into heat quickly if not bred.