Male Cat Leaking Clear Fluid From Penis

Chimera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I just adopted a cat from a shelter today. He is completely healthy, but seems to be leaking a clear, scentless fluid from his penis. I was just wondering if this was normal in male cats? The only information I can find online is that it is caused by infection, but he doesn't seem bothered by it at all. I've only owned female cats before him, so I'm not sure if it's normal or not ^^' Thank you for reading, and any help is appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chimera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I don't believe it's normal. Do you have a vet you could talk with?
It just seems strange that it isn't something that would've been treated before being adopted out, since the shelter I got him from is primarily a vet. I will talk to my Mom in the morning about it. Hopefully it isn't anything too major. Thank you!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he pee a lot more than normal? If he does, that does point to something wrong. If he isn't going at all, maybe urine is leaking out.

Chimera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he pee a lot more than normal? If he does, that does point to something wrong. If he isn't going at all, maybe urine is leaking out.
I only just got him today. He's peed only once since bringing him home. He isn't showing any symptoms of anything, just the leakage. He is very active and playful. The fluid is also completely clear and odorless, so I don't believe it's urine.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fluid would be colorless if it's leaking because you need a lot of it to show the color. I don't think he's using the litter pan enough if he's only gone once. It may be helpful to put him in the box and show him how to scratch. Even the noise may make him go. Mingo always hops in when I scoop - the sound must trigger him

Chimera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fluid would be colorless if it's leaking because you need a lot of it to show the color. I don't think he's using the litter pan enough if he's only gone once. It may be helpful to put him in the box and show him how to scratch. Even the noise may make him go. Mingo always hops in when I scoop - the sound must trigger him
Cats typically urinate 2-4 times per day, and we didn't bring him home until later in the afternoon, around 4:30 PM we started toward home with him on about a 2 hour journey. He used the litter box probably around 7 PM (not sure exactly, as I wasn't in the room). So he may be on a normal urinating schedule, but I just can't be certain since we just got him. Either way, I'm definitely going to talk with my mom in the morning about calling our vet. At the moment though I need to get to sleep, it's already 2 AM where I am, so there isn't much I can do for him at the moment. Thank you for your help!

Klucat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Did your vet ever figure out what was causing this leaking?

From what you described, I'm pretty sure my male cat is doing the same thing and I've had him just over a month now.