Male Cat Hierarchy?

LawnCow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello...

I have two male cats (well I have 4 in total but this is about the boys).

The older cat is 14, big orange tabby, pretty mellow.

The younger is a Maine Coon mix, 10 years old, a very smart and talkative kiddo.

Here is the baffling issue:

When I return from any outing or errand, the younger boy and the older boy usually greet me at the door. The younger will then pin the older down, biting his neck and hold him there till I either intervene or the older boy finally objects.

I suspect this is the younger's attempt to assert dominance, however, the older boy has no interest in being the alpha, he just wants to eat, sleep, poop, and get his belly rubbed.

Anyone have competing cats like this? Is my assessment about a dominance display correct or is there something else happening here? They dont do this any other time except when I return from being gone. Occasionally the older boy will object and fight back, but he usually just sits there waiting for the younger to give it up.

Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It actually could be either of those, or a bit of both. Since it only occurs when you have been out for awhile doing errands, I think it very possible that this has its roots in possessiveness, and your younger cat is reminding your older cat that you belong to him. LOL, if that's as far as things go, I wouldn't worry about it overly much, especially as it doesn't often particularly bother the older cat, who knows his place in your heart and can just let that Young Gun puff and preen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LawnCow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks friends...

Yes the older guy is really just a big love-bug and cant be bothered with all this posturing, so I believe it is just a display of dominance. The younger boy has other quirky posturing habits, some of which are.. well.. not exactly polite.. LOL.

Thanks for the input. I will keep an eye on them both to see if it becomes something different.

-Michael (COCG... Crazy Old Cat Guy) :p

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Have we mentioned that we are disposed to like COCGs? So many think of cats as being "girl" pets that is it wonderful to meet men who love and respect cats, as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LawnCow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LOL! Thanks... my four little crazy furrballs are wonderful companions. One day I will tell the story of me recently relocating from Los Angeles to Montana.. in a car.. with four cats. Definitely COCG material here..

Thanks everyone! :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll look forward to that! I joke often about hitchhiking across country with my walker and an irate pussycat in a carrier. So far, I've avoided that little joy in life, but keep it as a future possibility!