Male Cat And Male Kitten

Dolores_82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I hope you guys can help me out. I have a 1.5y old Persian male cat. I finally decided to get a second male cat/kitten for him.The introduction went well so far. I separated them for a few days and exchanged blankets and stuff so they get used to each other. After the introduction they did not hiss at each other. They just followed each other. Especially the big one always followed the small one. I could not see any aggressive behavior.

The only thing which bothers me and what I am a little concerned about is the playing behavior of my 1.5y old Persian male. He plays really rough with the small fellow. The small one always screams and always lies on his back. I actually think the big one is happy to have someone to play with finally. Sometimes I interrupt their play because I think it's too much for the small one. But there are also some people who say I shouldn't do that only if it gets really bad. The big one wants to show probably who is the boss here.

I gonna attach some pictures of my post from both of them. I also uploaded two videos on Youtube so you can see what I actually mean with playing rough. Maybe you can give me some idea if that's okay or If I should still separate them.

What I found out so far is that they play that rough only in the early morning round about 7.30am for 30min and in the late evening around 10pm. During the day they are really calm and also lie next to each other.

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is success! If the kitten was actually getting hurt, he would avoid the bigger cat. Rough play that makes kitten uncomfortable enough to squeal is 100% normal, but for an older cat in this type of play mode to actually hurt a kitten doesn't ever happen afaik. If kitten acts hurt (after play) or terrorized (avoidance behavior before), come back to us.

Its not that gently separating them is bad per se, (as long as you don't discourage them from playing, which would require extreme behavior) but it isn't likely to do anything helpful either. They gonna do what they gonna do.