Making Homemade Raw Cat food and Using ProDen Plaque-Off

KelWhit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have two cats, Bob (6 YO) & Frank (5 YO), who started using Proden Plaque-Off in March 2023. Frank has a history of neck lesions (tooth resorption) and has had 3 teeth pulled already. In May 2023, I decided to start making homemade raw diet, and I was able to transition them both off kibble and Wellness canned wet food. I've been following Lisa Piersons recipe using raw chicken thigh. I started thinking, should I be excluding the morton lite salt from my recipe since the Proden is seaweed based and contains iodine already. Both cats have recently (June) had bloodwork and their thyroid was fine but I've noticed that Bob has been peeing more lately and in larger quantity. I have an annual vet appointment scheduled for end of Oct but wondered if anyone else has any experience on making the homemade raw and using Proden? I also add the Proden to the homemade food when I mix in the supplements vs adding daily to their food. Also thinking maybe I should add daily since I don't know about any degradation while freezing. Thank you for any insight.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this, but I'm hoping someone else who knows a bit more about Dr. Pierson's recipe will. I'm curious now, as well!
My 15 year old cat had some dental problems as a young cat. He was put on a ground raw diet, and his teeth have been absolutely fine since. I'm hoping Frank does well with this diet and it helps prevent or slow any dental problems. They are both beautiful BTW!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KelWhit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this, but I'm hoping someone else who knows a bit more about Dr. Pierson's recipe will. I'm curious now, as well!
My 15 year old cat had some dental problems as a young cat. He was put on a ground raw diet, and his teeth have been absolutely fine since. I'm hoping Frank does well with this diet and it helps prevent or slow any dental problems. They are both beautiful BTW!
I was hoping that by going to raw it would help their teeth and I wouldn't need to add the proden. I brush their teeth daily and faithfully. Frankie's teeth, the one who had dental issues, look great. But now Bob's teeth/gums look inflamed (Ugh!) I'm happy that your cat is doing well. Does your cat eat/chew "chunks" of meat? My boys won't chew on any chunks, which I believe is what helps with the teeth cleaning. They are strictly pate' and at this point, as long as they are eating raw, I'm fine with that. Maybe it just takes time, I just transitioned last May.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was hoping that by going to raw it would help their teeth and I wouldn't need to add the proden. I brush their teeth daily and faithfully. Frankie's teeth, the one who had dental issues, look great. But now Bob's teeth/gums look inflamed (Ugh!) I'm happy that your cat is doing well. Does your cat eat/chew "chunks" of meat? My boys won't chew on any chunks, which I believe is what helps with the teeth cleaning. They are strictly pate' and at this point, as long as they are eating raw, I'm fine with that. Maybe it just takes time, I just transitioned last May.
Lila will chew on chunks, but the older two seem unsure what to do. At their age (15 1/2), I don't see the point forcing the issue :)
If you do decide to give them chunks, the way I started Lila was giving her a chunk that was kind of big and couldn't be swallowed or choked on. I let her mess around with it, and before long she figured it out.
I've found it much easier to mix any supplements or medications into ground food, too.

KelWhit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lila will chew on chunks, but the older two seem unsure what to do. At their age (15 1/2), I don't see the point forcing the issue :)
If you do decide to give them chunks, the way I started Lila was giving her a chunk that was kind of big and couldn't be swallowed or choked on. I let her mess around with it, and before long she figured it out.
I've found it much easier to mix any supplements or medications into ground food, too.
Agree about not pursuing at that age. It's funny, Bob will eat a small "chunk" only while I'm grinding the meat but won't eat it in his food dish. If Frankie finds even a small chunk while eating his food, he will walk away from his food so I'm very aware of not having "chunks" in his food. I already think he doesn't eat enough for his weight but I can't force him.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Agree about not pursuing at that age. It's funny, Bob will eat a small "chunk" only while I'm grinding the meat but won't eat it in his food dish. If Frankie finds even a small chunk while eating his food, he will walk away from his food so I'm very aware of not having "chunks" in his food. I already think he doesn't eat enough for his weight but I can't force him.
Out of curiosity, what type of grinder do you have?
Is Frankie underweight at all?

KelWhit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Out of curiosity, what type of grinder do you have?
Is Frankie underweight at all?
I have an LEM #12 grinder, and Frankie is underweight in my opinion. Although the Vet never says he is.