Making biscuits...finally!

prairienights

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my first cat several months ago, and she's my baby. I love her tons. And she is an affectionate cat in her own Lua way, she'll sit on my lap and purr and she's very sweet. No hissing or growling, and I can do whatever to her. But she never does some typical affectionate cat things that kind of makes me sad. She doesn't headbutt, she doesn't scentmark at all in fact, and she doesn't knead when I'm petting her.

Well I got a kitten to keep her company a few months ago. They get a long great, and for the first several weeks, the kitten, Bailey, seemed to bond with Lua more than me. This kind of bummed me out, but oh well. Well Bailey is maturing a bit now (she's about 5 months old now), and she's becoming a lap kitty. She stands on my chest and headbutts me and purrs and then curls up right by my chin. She'll sleep under the covers next to me. But she still didn't knead.

Well a few minutes ago, she was sitting on my chest and I felt her little claws. I was about to move her since claws + my boobies = not pleasant, but I realized she was making biscuits! Out of nowhere, I don't know why she just started all of a sudden. Aww, she's so cute...finally I have a cat that will knead, haha.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My most skittish kitten is finally kneading me a little. It's nice when you realize they trust you and are relaxed enough to do that.

If you don't trim Bailey's claws yet, you should start.
It'll get her used to it and make kneading less painful. Kitten claws grow much faster than cat claws so you may need to trim hers as much as once a week.

I trim my kittens, otherwise they're likely to put each others eyes out.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the kneading. My Siamie still kneads, and she is over 20 years old. (It hurts, though, because she keeps her claws extra sharp.)

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several of my foster boys knead. One of them - Casper, bicycles his legs and paws while he kneads the air.

Another will just open and close his toes in contentment.

Ghost - my little Snowshoe mix - kneaded the first day in my house. He was hiding under the cabinet in the bathroom... I laid down on the floor to talk to him and pet him... and he began to knead my arm and purr... and fell asleep like that.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's such a comforting, peaceful thing when they do that.

Larry will stretch out on the couch next to me, then stretch his front paws out and find my arm and just knead himself to sleep. I love it that he also looks like he's got a satisfied smile on his face.....like this:

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Carly will knead my neck. That is how I know that her nails need to be trimmed.