Maine coon kitten

Joeysmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there anyone that has knowledge of size of a Maine coon kitten? On Monday I got a Maine coon kitten he isn’t registered but I saw both parents who were very large and I’ve seen the pedigree papers. I was told his date of birth was 13th July which would make him 9 weeks old yesterday ( I know, a proper breeder wouldn’t have let him go that young). He has had a bit of an upset tum but I did have that with one of my other Maine coons when we got him. Chandler is our 4th Maine coon. I weighed him on Monday and he weighed 2.02kg which I thought at the time seemed heavy for his age as he’s long and thin. I’ve just weighed him today and he now weighs 2.12 kg so gaining weight as he should. My question is if I put photos on can anyone age him as I think he is older than they said.He’s extremely lively and playful and I’m feeding him feringa kitten wet meat and concept for life Maine coon kitten. One of my other Maine coons I got at 12 weeks and he didn’t even weigh what Chandler does now.

Attachments

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It'd be pretty hard to judge a couple weeks difference on a kitten from pics so I wouldn't worry about it any, why buy from a byb with all those red flags though?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's a good size for 9 weeks. My girl at 16 weeks was nowhere near him. Unfortunate about his background but what's done is done and you sound like you are very Maine Coon experienced. As I'm sure you know it's impossible to tell how large he'll get especially since you don't know his full background. But based on current appearance and weight gain to date you don't have anything to worry about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joeysmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve spoken to my vet this morning as he still has diarrhoea, she asked how he is in himself which is extremely lively so I’ve to treat him for worms even though where I got him from said he had been wormed. I’m literally having to clean him when he goes.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve spoken to my vet this morning as he still has diarrhoea, she asked how he is in himself which is extremely lively so I’ve to treat him for worms even though where I got him from said he had been wormed. I’m literally having to clean him when he goes.
Aww poor thing. Did your vet do a fecal floatation test? There are other parasites that won't show up just by looking at a fresh stool sample. Make sure they test him for coccidia which is common but more difficult to detect sometimes and needs an entirely different medication to eradicate them. My girl had them, but was non-symptomatic. The vet wanted her treated anyway not only for her own health but for the other cat in our home.

Joeysmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If after the worming treatment he still has diarrhoea I’ve to take him in for more tests. It could even be the stress of moving or change of food the vet said but I would have thought it would have calmed down by now. In himself he’s absolutely fine and gaining weight.

Joeysmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not happy with his diarrhoea, he’s eating and playing fine but this morning didn’t make it to the litter tray. I will be getting a poo sample and getting him in at the vets tomorrow. Weight wise he is gaining well, he was 2.02 kg on Monday when I got him and today he is 2.19kg.

Joeysmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An update, Chandler tested positive for Giardia, he’s been treated for it and so have my other cats to be on the safe side. He was retested yesterday and is now negative( my other cats are too) but he still has diarrhoea. Hes been on royal canin gastrointestinal food for the last 3 days as advised by the vet, has anyone any more suggestions? I feel this last 4 weeks has been an ever ending cycle of cleaning up diarrhoea and cleaning out litter trays daily with no let up. He was also tested for other things but everything else was clear. I’ve been back and forth to the vets and spent a small fortune. Every other aspect he’s fine, not dehydrated, loves his food, plays constantly. The vet is happy with how he’s gaining weight, he weighed 2.83kg yesterday.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some kitties have sensitive tummies and need food specially formulated for that. Some of my cats get the Blue Wilderness/Buffalo sensitive stomach dry food, and eat Fancy Feast chicken pate — no chunks or shreds or gravy. It seems to help with firmer poops. Fish cat food is not good for cats with sensitive tummies — stick with chicken.

It sounds like you have an otherwise healthy kitten who may have a sensitive tummy. He’s gorgeous!