Maine Coon health

Lucy Handley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am new to the site and would welcome some thoughts on the Maine Coon breed from a health perspective. In April we took in at a request a MC due to the owner having family and health issues. He is a neutered male who was used as a breading cat for the first 2 years of his life and was then acquired by the lady who had him for 2 years. We think he is about 4. She told us he is a carrier of cat flu but had been vaccinated when she got him and that he was getting ill with stress at her house. She had a fair number of other animals- 3 dogs, another cat and 3 parrots plus 2 children- in a very small environment so I could see that that could be a cause. He's absolutely gorgeous and my husband, son and I have fallen head over heals in love with him. After a month of settling in I took him to our vets for a check up. I was told he has a heart murmur-which I already knew is common in MCs. He also has chronic ear eczema which we control with cleaning and oil. But since he came to us, and before, he has had his third eye lid showing which I know can indicate an underlying health issue. However, he seems very happy here. He eats well, sleep well and follows me around the house and the garden during the day but I wondered if anyone has experienced this persistent third eyelid with a Maine Coon before? Any thoughts would be welcomed before I head off to the vets once more.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A third eyelid usually indicates the cat is not feeling well. Your vet may very well try some steroid eyedrops or salve to try and see if that would help. To give them easily, I always pull gently down on the lower lid to form a 'pouch' and put the drops there. Stress also may cause the third eyelid to come out, and cats take a very long time to get used to new situations. It may very well be that in a few months he will get better. Third eyelids are an indication of something wrong, not usually the primary problem. It is painless and as long as they don't cover more than half the eye, vision should be normal. If it were me, I would get some DMG (Walmart or Amazon online) and try that. It is a supplement to build up the immune system, and I know it has really helped with all kinds of symptoms in my own cats who have leukemia. Please keep us informed on what helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucy Handley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Di and Bob. Very much appreciated. I have just purchased some via Amazon and will keep you posted on how he gets on. Thanks again :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucy Handley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Di and Bob, Just an update and sorry it's been so long. I bought some DMG- have been giving him a few drops daily since August. His eyelid still showing a bit but not as much. He's practically the picture of health but a useless mouser :-D Never mind, we adore him. Vet very happy with his health so I am going to keep up with the drops. Thanks you for your great suggestion!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update, I really appreciate knowing. You are putting the DMG in his food aren't you, it is a supplement to build up his immune system. I think it also takes a while to start working, as do most supplements. All the luck!