Maggie, Our Grand-dog

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The kids called; they're going on vacation and would like us to take Maggie for the week they're gone. Last year when they asked, we said "No" because of dealing with The Beast's neuroses and I didn't want to deal with both large dogs on top of the cats.

Our son seems to think that having Maggie with us might help to calm The Beast down; I highly doubt it, but I don't want to see Maggie be kenneled either. Before we had Jackie, we would always take Maggie in; she's a total sweetheart and I dearly love that girl. She goes with us with no trouble; if I visit my sister, Maggie goes right along. She's just that laid-back, a total change from that blasted beagle we have to deal with.

I'm thinking about trying it. The problem is that, if the beagle goes crazier, there won't be anything we can do about it; once Maggie is here, I won't throw her into a kennel and The Beast will just have to deal.....for a change. We don't know how she'd act with another dog in the house, esp one that's bigger than she is.

Anybody have any thoughts about this? Good grief, two d*gs and five cats....just shoot me now.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Have Maggie come before they leave and say with you for a day. Just to see how your animals will react. if it's calm, then go ahead and petsit.. if not, at least you tried and give them time to find another place for Maggie

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have Maggie come before they leave and say with you for a day. Just to see how your animals will react. if it's calm, then go ahead and petsit.. if not, at least you tried and give them time to find another place for Maggie
:yeah: Do the dogs get along? If so, they'll probably keep each other occupied, making things easier on you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
To our knowledge, Jackie has never been around another dog. It's a shot. I need to see what Rick thinks first. Yeah, we could have Mags up for the day and I did think of that. But it's a 2-1/2 hour drive one way and that's a lot of stress for Maggie being in a car for five hours in one day. She's pretty good about it; she hops in the front seat and sits there with the seat belt on. But still.....

The cats are fine with Maggie; she's been here before for almost two weeks several times (before Jackie came) and she's very comfortable with us and our furkids. I dote on her quite a bit and I think she enjoys being doted on. :) She goes with Muffin and me when we go over to my sister's for Muffin's walk about town in her stroller.

I'm going to see how Rick feels. I suppose I could take some vacation days if I had to.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote for the trial run. A longish drive is better than two fighting dogs for a week. If Jackie is really hyper, she may upset Maggie, too. It's better to find out now that when it's too late.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Our son has agreed to give it a try; he's bringing Maggie to our house Saturday morning and we'll have her until Sunday. We do plan on going out and leaving everybody alone, simply because I'm not planning on taking a whole week of vacation to dog-sit, so they need to spend time alone, too. I am thinking of asking my boss if I can bring Mags into work with me to work in the morning and then taking her home during lunch. I don't mind taking a couple days of vacation and I can split my hours. Hopefully we can make this work because I really like Maggie and we enjoy having her with us.

Our son seems to think that Maggie may calm Jackie down. Ha!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, Maggie is not coming. Our son texted me last night and said that there's too much going on this weekend and he doesn't have the time to bring her up to our house today. But if we'd go down and get her today and then take her back tomorrow.....

And with everything going on around here, we don't have the time either. We just don't.

He said he'd just bring her up next weekend for the following week. We don't want to try this without a trial run because of trying to deal with The Beast. So she's not coming now at all.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think you made a good decision. you tried, to do a trial run and see how that worked out. and you do have a lot going on, and now with your MIL having had a fall too.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Just offering my support. I think a trial run is a good idea-too bad too far away for overnight.

You never know-maybe Maggie will help calm the Beast-maybe the beast feels left out- Hoping for a restful rest of the week for you and hoping your MIL gets well soon. Sending her :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: