Lynx Point Siamese X bicolor = ???

Lms0229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We rescued a Lynx Point Siamese bobtail that someone dumped and we think a black and white stray Tom cat mated with her. We wanted to get her spayed and adopted out but now she is pregnant 🤦🏻‍♀️.... just curious if any knowledgeable cat lovers could tell me what the kittens may look like????? Thanks! Pics of mama kitty attached.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is very pretty! diluted tortie, blue lynx point; ie grey tabby, tortie and "siamese mix". Daddy is black and white.

Girls will tend to be torties / torbies. Half will be brown tabbies, possibly with white patches. Some will will be black and white.

Unless tom is a point carrier, nobody will be pointed. IF he is carrier, half will be pointed.

If daddy is a carrier of diluted gene, half will be grey / grey tabbies. If not, none will be it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lms0229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is very pretty! diluted tortie, blue lynx point; ie grey tabby, tortie and "siamese mix". Daddy is black and white.

Girls will tend to be torties / torbies. Half will be brown tabbies, possibly with white patches. Some will will be black and white.

Unless tom is a point carrier, nobody will be pointed. IF he is carrier, half will be pointed.

If daddy is a carrier of diluted gene, half will be grey / grey tabbies. If not, none will be it.
Thank you!!! What about their eyes and tails? Will any have her blue eyes? She barely has a nub for a tail and if the dad is the black and white cat he had a long tail, so what will the kittens have?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Blue eyes are from being a colorpoint (think albino but slightly different). It is a recessive trait that the kitten has to get from both parents to express. Mom got a copy of the gene from both her parents, so she shows the trait. She will give each of her kittens a single copy of the gene.

This means that if the male cat has the recessive gene for colorpoint (any cat can carry the gene if they have a single distant ancestor); any kitten who inherits a copy from him would then have two (one from mom and one from dad). So if Dad is a carrier of the gene, each kitten would have a 50% chance. But if the male does NOT have the colorpoint gene, none of the kittens will get a copy from him. Since it takes two copies to give them the blue eyes, none of the kittens in that case would have blue eyes. Well they all will have blue eyes initially but none would keep them.

If any of the kittens are born pure white, those would be the ones who would have blue eyes. If they are born with color in their coats, they won't have blue eyes. The way that gene works, kitten are born solid white and gain color as they age.

Tail depends on if it is something she was born without (and then why she was born without, genetic versus just accident during devlopment) or lost after birth. Mom cats can accidentally bite of tails when biting the cord at birth. Cats can get their tails stuck in something and loose a chunk. Kittens can be born with stumpy tails simply due to positioning in utero that prevents proper development (humans born with limbs can simply be the cord wrapped around the limb at the wrong moment). Without knowing why she doesn't have a tail it's hard to know if it would be an Inherited trait or not. My guess? The kitten will have normal tails because genetic short tail is fairly rare and recessive.

Lms0229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Blue eyes are from being a colorpoint (think albino but slightly different). It is a recessive trait that the kitten has to get from both parents to express. Mom got a copy of the gene from both her parents, so she shows the trait. She will give each of her kittens a single copy of the gene.

This means that if the male cat has the recessive gene for colorpoint (any cat can carry the gene if they have a single distant ancestor); any kitten who inherits a copy from him would then have two (one from mom and one from dad). So if Dad is a carrier of the gene, each kitten would have a 50% chance. But if the male does NOT have the colorpoint gene, none of the kittens will get a copy from him. Since it takes two copies to give them the blue eyes, none of the kittens in that case would have blue eyes. Well they all will have blue eyes initially but none would keep them.

If any of the kittens are born pure white, those would be the ones who would have blue eyes. If they are born with color in their coats, they won't have blue eyes. The way that gene works, kitten are born solid white and gain color as they age.

Tail depends on if it is something she was born without (and then why she was born without, genetic versus just accident during devlopment) or lost after birth. Mom cats can accidentally bite of tails when biting the cord at birth. Cats can get their tails stuck in something and loose a chunk. Kittens can be born with stumpy tails simply due to positioning in utero that prevents proper development (humans born with limbs can simply be the cord wrapped around the limb at the wrong moment). Without knowing why she doesn't have a tail it's hard to know if it would be an Inherited trait or not. My guess? The kitten will have normal tails because genetic short tail is fairly rare and recessive.
Thank you so much for the information!!! This is really detailed and very informative! I will definitely update everyone when she has them on how she does. I have never been around a pregnant cat before so this is our first go around, but we think she is about 5 weeks along.

Lms0229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

So just wanted to update. We don't have kittens yet, but mama kitty has a good quality kitten food, a really nice nesting igloo and doing really well. I think she may be further along than I was originally thinking because I can both feel and see kittens moving..... a lot. Also, my husband saw another male cat in the area.... a large long haired jet black cat and he didn't get a good look at the eye color. Also, we suspect mama kitty has a high potential for the Manx gene because apparently we have an irresponsible neighbor that owns a female Manx that they never spayed and she has had multiple litters over the years. Apparently they went and bought this cat from a breeder and then never spayed her! Idk what is wrong with people, but after we found their puppy wondering in my garden the other day, they told us about their Manx cat. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Lms0229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

So we have 2 kittens so far!!! One is a little lighter than the other but both look near identical. They look to be tabbies but have a lot of orange/brown and black. Let me know your thoughts....

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be warm brown tabbies with a lot of shading, could be torbies, hard to tell at this point.

Congratulations! We need more pictures when everything has settled down!

Lms0229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could be warm brown tabbies with a lot of shading, could be torbies, hard to tell at this point.

Congratulations! We need more pictures when everything has settled down!
I will definitely get more pictures! One has a tail and the other is a bobtail like mom.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brown tabbies I think. They just appear to have a warm tone to them :)

Jgc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Came over this conversation and was wondering if someone can answer me this about points and bicolor and predicted colour kittens and carriers. If I understood correctly, a non point and non carrier with no point history in pedigree x seal point will give no point kittens, but will that litter be 100% point carriers? Or only a curtain %? And if yes, does that mean a black bicolor and a calico carrier x seal point will give all points or curtain % points rest carriers?

Thank you in advance, going crazy trying to figure this last bit out as can't find any info on points and bicolor carriers 😅🙈

Jgc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi! Came over this conversation and was wondering if someone can answer me this about points and bicolor and predicted colour kittens and carriers. If I understood correctly, a non point and non carrier with no point history in pedigree x seal point will give no point kittens, but will that litter be 100% point carriers? Or only a curtain %? And if yes, does that mean a black bicolor and a calico carrier x seal point will give all points or curtain % points rest carriers?

Thank you in advance, going crazy trying to figure this last bit out as can't find any info on points and bicolor carriers 😅🙈

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi! Came over this conversation and was wondering if someone can answer me this about points and bicolor and predicted colour kittens and carriers. If I understood correctly, a non point and non carrier with no point history in pedigree x seal point will give no point kittens, CORRECT but will that litter be 100% point carriers? YES Or only a curtain %? And if yes, does that mean a black bicolor and a calico carrier x seal point will give all points or curtain % points rest carriers? A CARRIER AND A POINT WILL GIVE: ALL CARRIERS AND HALF POINTS. OF o REMEMBER RIGHT. ATT LEAST HALF OF KITTENS WILL BE WHITE SPOTTED; POSSIBLY ALL, AS MANY CALICOS BEING HIGH WHITE, ARE DOUBLE CARRIERS.

Jgc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so so much, i feel i now have cracked the code and hopefully will first litter of point bi colours will be born in the near future! ❤🐾