Lychee Leaves

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there,

I've got a question to which there is apparently no answer that's easily found. Apart from being the proud owner of a lychee tree sapling, we've also got a rather unintelligent 5 1/2 months-old cat. Said cat thought it a good idea to munch on the leaves, eating a total of 4.

Now, there's no information that I could find about whether those things are in any way toxic. Tried the national poison hotline in my country, and since the bloody tree is quite uncommon around here, there's no information on it. There's only info on ingestion of the fruit, which as we know doesn't necessarily mean the leaves are equally fine. As of now, he seems fine and alert (happened about 20 minutes ago).

Thanks in advance for any answers.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The seeds are toxic but not the leaves or the edible part of the fruit. I'd still err on the side of caution and watch the cat for the next couple of days for any signs of illness. And keep the cat away from the tree if at al possible.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You should know within 18 hours if there's going to be a reaction. I'm guessing not. Pay special attention to lethargy, drooling, suppressed appetite, and manic behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies; let's hope for the best. Currently, he's still his active self. Normally, the cat wouldn't have had access to it; I had it in a dyi greenhouse. It'll be transferred into a new one, so he won't be able to get to it in the future (I hope - it had grown so well!). I'll give an update should anything happen (and if nothing happens by tomorrow).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: He's fine, there were no symptoms yesterday. Some more data about him, he's around 3kg/6.6lbs and has consumed four leaves (ca. 4cm long and 1cm broad/1.57in long and 0.39in broad). Today, he's still active, still playful, nothing out of the ordinary. I venture to say the leaves are safe (enough) for consumption, at least of a sapling. The plant's doing well enough, too, if anyone cares ;-), it'll be housed in a new greenhouse today.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, there are many people here who will be glad that BOTH "patients" are doing well. Myself, I love plants, but could kill a plastic philodendron in 10 days, flat.