Luna, 5 year survivor Injection site sarcoma, has a lump! Can it be?

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello
My lovely Luna is a rare long term survivor of an aggressive sarcoma. Just today I felt and saw a lump on her head next to ear. Smal jelly like sack that I could put my fingers around. Didnt hurt her -- but that is exactly how her previous tumor felt which is seared into my mind. Every day I worried about losing her and now..... she has vet appointment with a new but older dr since hers retired. Has anyone had a recurrence of a "cured" cancer? She is now 16 1/2 years.

Attachments

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly, I am so sorry you are having to worry about the C word again after what you two have already been through and come out of. I am so very, very glad that she survived that initial cancer onslaught. You are right - that is incredibly rare with that type of aggressive cancer. That being said: I absolutely don't want to panic you and when you read this I want you to remember this.... POSSIBLE does NOT mean that's what it is.

You are absolutely right to get her to the vet especially since she has already had cancer.

"Cured" cancer is a misnomer. It's actually remission.They don't really explain that very well. Nor do they often provide proper survival percentages or a lot of others things that IMHO they should. I have a bit of a sore spot about that to be honest.

FYI I am not a vet. I need to be clear about that with you but I will say when my Mia became ill (rare cancer) - and even up to right now I've researched the life out of cancer and cats to try to make sense of what happened to her and I have read A LOT. In many case cats do come out of remission... but some don't as well. It's hard to know what will happen when dealing with that evil monster. Your best bet at this point is "not to borrow trouble" as they say. Don't panic. Let the vet take a look and see what's going on. Take it one step at a time. You losing sleep and being stressed won't be good for either of you. XOXOXOXOX (I know - WAY easier said than done.) Pretty much put it out of your head. You are doing the best thing for her and that's taking her to the doctor. XOXOXOXOX

Could that be cancer, yes, it is possible - but that does not mean that's what this is. It could it be a fatty lump of cyst - yes. It could be a lot of things. I'm going to put it out to the universe that it's a fatty lump or not-a-problem-cyst. Because quite franky - Cancer can eat poop. :devilish: So I am going to refuse it to be that evil C word for her and you. *Puts foot down at the universe*

When are you seeing the doctor with Luna?

BTW she is a beauty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Firstly, I am so sorry you are having to worry about the C word again after what you two have already been through and come out of. I am so very, very glad that she survived that initial cancer onslaught. You are right - that is incredibly rare with that type of aggressive cancer. That being said: I absolutely don't want to panic you and when you read this I want you to remember this.... POSSIBLE does NOT mean that's what it is.

You are absolutely right to get her to the vet especially since she has already had cancer.

"Cured" cancer is a misnomer. It's actually remission.They don't really explain that very well. Nor do they often provide proper survival percentages or a lot of others things that IMHO they should. I have a bit of a sore spot about that to be honest.

FYI I am not a vet. I need to be clear about that with you but I will say when my Mia became ill (rare cancer) - and even up to right now I've researched the life out of cancer and cats to try to make sense of what happened to her and I have read A LOT. In many case cats do come out of remission... but some don't as well. It's hard to know what will happen when dealing with that evil monster. Your best bet at this point is "not to borrow trouble" as they say. Don't panic. Let the vet take a look and see what's going on. Take it one step at a time. You losing sleep and being stressed won't be good for either of you. XOXOXOXOX (I know - WAY easier said than done.) Pretty much put it out of your head. You are doing the best thing for her and that's taking her to the doctor. XOXOXOXOX

Could that be cancer, yes, it is possible - but that does not mean that's what this is. It could it be a fatty lump of cyst - yes. It could be a lot of things. I'm going to put it out to the universe that it's a fatty lump or not-a-problem-cyst. Because quite franky - Cancer can eat poop. :devilish: So I am going to refuse it to be that evil C word for her and you. *Puts foot down at the universe*

When are you seeing the doctor with Luna?

BTW she is a beauty!
What an incredibly thoughtful reply. People like you are a gift. She is right in front of me as a type this. Our appointment is tomorrow morning. I know we humans tend to think the same thoughts thousands of times a day and Luna is my thoughts constantly. When I have a break I mourn the current wars of people everywhere, so you, a stranger have offered me a gift with your thoughts and explanations.

Yes she is gorgeous. I have had her since she was 4 weeks old. Her sibling from other parents, died the year she was originally diagnosed. I'm convinced the stress stimulated her cancer cells that perhaps lay dormant. I will see what the universe has in store for her.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn’t read replies. She didn’t have any injections in that area? I would get it removed and biopsy asap but I wouldn’t stress over it. There is nothing you can do other than have it removed. For now anyway.
The cats I have known that have had injection site sarcomas removed, it grew back in the same location as the original tumor. I am not saying that it never grows back elsewhere, but the ones I have seen come back where they started.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an incredibly thoughtful reply. People like you are a gift. She is right in front of me as a type this. Our appointment is tomorrow morning. I know we humans tend to think the same thoughts thousands of times a day and Luna is my thoughts constantly. When I have a break I mourn the current wars of people everywhere, so you, a stranger have offered me a gift with your thoughts and explanations.

Yes she is gorgeous. I have had her since she was 4 weeks old. Her sibling from other parents, died the year she was originally diagnosed. I'm convinced the stress stimulated her cancer cells that perhaps lay dormant. I will see what the universe has in store for her.

XOXO thank you for your kind words.

She's in your thoughts because of deep love. Such a beautiful thing!

I am a believer that stress (an chronic inflammation) does trigger illness both in people and animals. So it probably played a role.Sooner or later it would have popped up though - given her age at that time - it was probably better it happened then rather than later. XO

Sending good vibes your way.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I thought -- she certainly didn't get an injection on her head. I just need to sleep tonight to get us there tomorrow.
That made me chuckle as too true! (injection on her head)

Get some rest and please let us know how you both are doing. Be thinking of you.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that you probably won't have results for a bit yet, but how did the visit go?

How are you two doing?