Lukemia

CrazyCattLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I recently had my baby Patches, a calico, at the vet due to excessive vomitting and was told she tested positive for Lukemia. I know that my roommate had previously put one down due to that but I am honestly debating whether the test itself is one for the vets to make money on or what because upon reading up on the disease i discovered there are two variations of it, yet when I ask my vet about them he had not a clue what I was talking about. I am not sure if it may be my severe attachment to her and my other ones, that I am not wanting to believe it but if there is anyone else that has any information on this or even pointers as to what may cause their flares up I'd appreciate all the information I can get on it. I for one think that alot of Patches issue is that we recently moved in to a house full, 4 dogs (2 stay in all the time- sometimes all getting along normal cat/dog relationships) 3 more cats with total now 6, 2 toddlers, 2 teenagers, 2 adults(including myself in this number) and one nana whos bed ridden so to say her nerves are shot is to say the least cause i know mine get that way lol. But i did section off the extra living room making it cat quarters only as my vet did advise to keep her indoors which i wanted to do for some time as she was use to roaming around on our land.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After a very bad illness in which my cat lost 2/3 of his body weight, he was diagnosed with leukemia. All you read says it is fatal and euthanasia is recommended. I didn't want to believe it. I took him home, did a little research and started him on DMG (online at Walmart, Amazon, and any pet site) to build up his immune system. I got some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, a lickable treat, to tempt him to eat and somehow he survived on just a few licks a day. He was given 'days' to live. The vet told me that any other cats in the household most likely have it too. I never tested them because I would never separate them. That was 3 years ago! They are all 8 and 9 years old now. I asked the vet how that can be and he told me that if a cat is older sometimes they can rid themselves of the virus, like us with a cold. Until they get stressed or are exposed to another virus and since their immune systems are shot they get sick again. If they can hold on for a few weeks, their bone marrow can produce more white/red blood cells. His white blood cell count wouldn't even register, he was that low. I have kept all three on the DMG and LifeGold, a cancer supplement, I give it in a shared pack of Delectable Lickables, once a day. The other two have never gotten sick. They are also strictly indoors now (too many diseases brought around by strange cats) and I wash my hands after any contact with another animal. Like my outside cats. Young cats almost always die (though some don't, I have three that survived distemper too!) but don't give up hope. If you can keep their immune systems up there is hope! We take one day at a time, so far so good, and I am thankful for every day I have with them.