Lower body twitching/spasms, over grooming sides and agitation.

LocosMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help 😩

My 12 year old male cat has a clean bill of health (blood, urine and CT). However, he has had a very stressful year (3 surgeries - dental, PU and a meningoma brain tumor). Lately he has been over grooming his sides and I notice twitch/spasm like moves on his middle/lower back and top of his tail area, followed by agitation and/or hiding. Does anyone know if the twitches/spasm in the lower back area and over grooming is stress related or perhaps his bladder? His bowel movements have also been off since March (softer than usual and sometimes look like a small pile as opposed to formed). His vet suspects this is due to stress but isn’t certain.

We have been dealing with these issues nonstop since February and I am officially at my wits end and appreciate any and all feedback/advice.

Thanks so much. 🐾💗

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor guy! That is a lot to go through! I don't know the reason for the twitching &c., but I thought I would ask if he is on any flea medicine? Being bitten by fleas can cause similar symptoms or behaviors — even if he is an indoor cat, you should always consider that he could have picked up some fleas or flea eggs while at a vet office or hospital and brought them home. At least, it is something to consider.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hypersynesthesia, talk to your vet about a nerve pain reliever like Gabapentin or CBD oil.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is he on any medications that might be affecting him? Did he have anything similar before his brain tumor surgery?

The other thing to consider besides fleas is if this is some residual effect from the brain tumor & surgery. That kind of tumor does impact the central nervous system. Have you asked the vet about that particular aspect?
Tumor of the Meninges in Cats | PetMD