Low PLT in cats but no symptoms.

Astral89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:hellosmiley:Guys!

I have 5 cats that are 5 years old now, there mom was a stray that gave birth in my house and they've been my babies ever since. I do annual check-ups and blood tests to be safe and last tests results got me a bit worried. The doctor wasn't very definitive either and it felt like she just wanted to milk me for more money and more tests and I just wanted to get some advise from you guys.

Two of my neutered cats are somewhat over weight; one of them "Lolos" is 8.25 Kg (18 lbs), and the other, "Shiko", is 10.75 Kg (23.6 lbs) they both lost some weight but not much over the past year because I've been putting them on a diet to lose weight but they're not very active since they are indoor-only cats, but otherwise they're active at home and show no symptoms of any illness what so ever.

As any cat, they are super stressed on their way to the vet and it shows in their tests, but I was concerned for the low PLT levels even though they don't bleed or anything! We ran tests for FIV and FLEV and both were negative for both of them. I'm not sure what's the problem now is it because they're overweight? or is it just a bad blood sample?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I wouldn't automatically assume it is a bad blood sample.

Are these cats on any meds that could contribute to the readings? Immune-mediated diseases, or other infectious diseases besides the ones you tested for can also be the cause. I have also heard of this being affiliated with an inherited disorder, that I am not sure requires any treatment when there are no symptoms involved. I've never heard of overweight being a reason for a low platelet count.

A blood smear to further analyze the cells, or a PT (prothrombin time) test might be a couple of less expensive tests to run to see if that sheds any light on the issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Astral89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I wouldn't automatically assume it is a bad blood sample.

Are these cats on any meds that could contribute to the readings? Immune-mediated diseases, or other infectious diseases besides the ones you tested for can also be the cause. I have also heard of this being affiliated with an inherited disorder, that I am not sure requires any treatment when there are no symptoms involved. I've never heard of overweight being a reason for a low platelet count.

A blood smear to further analyze the cells, or a PT (prothrombin time) test might be a couple of less expensive tests to run to see if that sheds any light on the issue.
No, they're not on any meds. They took Omega 3 months ago and that's it. They don't suffer from anything or show any sickness other than some acne in their chin or an irritated eye every now and then. So, should I be worried for such low PLT?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe re-test in a month or so, and see where the PLT stands? Or ask about the blood smear and/or PT testing. I would also ask the vet to provide a list of what tests they recommend and why, and to put them in order of which ones make the most sense to do first, as well the associated cost for each. This gives you something to work with in terms of understanding the purpose behind possible future testing.