Louie shocker

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Louie (DH's rescue cat, pictured below as a kitten) went to the local Humane Society today for his neuter.  There my MIL got quite the shock.  Louie is a girl!   He, now she

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha! I knew a cat named Molly who went in to be spayed. . .and came out as a neutered male named Max :tongue2:. And my brother's Quaker parrot, also--coincidentally--named Louie, was DNA sexed by the vet as a male. All was fine for 5 years, when "he" suddenly started laying eggs! Now we call her LuLu. Of course it's hard with birds but you'd think a vet could tell a boy cat from a girl cat after a certain age!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few from a litter you really can't tell.  When they were young it was easier but now...shakes head. They were done at 2 months so nothing had a chance to get stretched out One is very shy but the other 2 are nearly impossible and the sex is hard to see cause...well genetics caused them to have ....well you get the idea lol

At least they checked and didn't come home Spayed and Neutered:S

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I do have one little girl kitty who looks very much like a neutered male. . .but when she hadn't developed testicles by 4 months I had a pretty good idea (although she could have been a cryptorchid male). So I made an appointment for a spay and the vet never said otherwise :lol3:. but I don't know how common that is. Molly/Max was a longhair and his family never really took a good look :tongue2:.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Been there!

My sister had lost a kitten....she came home from work and the little girl had died while she was gone. She was devastated and my BIL and I worried for her. A lady here at work had asked me if I'd take a friendly little feral kitten, about 6 weeks or so. We went over to her house, took the kitten home and my sister loves that little guy. But here's the thing. We all thought it was a little girl....we all did! There were no nubbins at all; both my BIL and I looked "her" over very carefully. Took "her to the vet for a check-up....and that's when we found out that she was a he. And we all realized that we have no clue when it comes to sexing a kitten. Thankfully, the vet realized that his little nubbins were finally starting to form. A few month later, Liam was neutered (or de-balled, as we call it around here).

To this day, my sister reminds me that I am an idiot when it comes to telling what sex a cat is.

Best wishes to Miss Lucy! Even though she's not a happy kitty right  now!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I told my MIL that I bet Lou is one confused cat.  "I know it," she said.  "I'm always calling him my precious boy." 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: I have heard of this happening before. Louie to Lucy - what a cute name!!! Now she is a precious :princess: !!!!!!!!!! :D :clap::clap::clap:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Louie was a good original name. The transition to Lucy will be easy. 

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still can't get over it.  Lucy is very much a tomboy.  She loves to play in water and will jump right in the shower.  She turns her water bowl over every day on purpose.  She growls at the drop of a hat.  (I love a growler.)  MIL has been giving her pain meds after the spay, but they don't seem to slow her down.  We are concerned about her being too active right now.  As soon as I get over the flu, I am going to visit the new "Lou".  Blueberry (the cat the neighbors left behind, currently lounging on my bed) goes to the vet this weekend.  If Blueberry turns out to be a boy, I am really going to be in shock. 

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I still can't get over it.  Lucy is very much a tomboy.  She loves to play in water and will jump right in the shower.  She turns her water bowl over every day on purpose.  She growls at the drop of a hat.  (I love a growler.)  MIL has been giving her pain meds after the spay, but they don't seem to slow her down.  We are concerned about her being too active right now.  As soon as I get over the flu, I am going to visit the new "Lou".  Blueberry (the cat the neighbors left behind, currently lounging on my bed) goes to the vet this weekend.  If Blueberry turns out to be a boy, I am really going to be in shock. 
Tabby is like that, a little tomboy. There are times when Rick will say to me, "Are you sure she's a girl? Are you sure?" And honestly, had it not been that she was spayed, I'd wonder about it, too. She's into everything, loves water (just like Lucy), and she chases everything and everybody throughout the house.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed a ton of difference between the personalities of male cats and female cats, so I wouldn't recognize a "tomboy" if I met one! What do you want, for her to wear frilly pink dresses? :lol3:

ibiscribe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah how funny.

We weren't sure about Ana for a while, because even though she was a shorthair she was black and very fluffy "down there", so it looked like she had... male cat bits. I couldn't tell if she was a she or not. My mother couldn't tell. We ended up asking the vet for his opinion when she had her checkup... fortunately our first guess had been correct, and Ana did not become Anakin. XP

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Of course, Lucy is a tomboy! She figured that is what everyone wanted... a boy! :rofl: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: that Blueberry stay a girl! :D :clap:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad Blueberry is a name that is appropriate for a girl or a boy.  At least, I think it is...I've never met anyone else with that name before. 

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Rusty always acts like a boy and is big like a boy but she is definitely a girl... I always thought she was next to her brother in the womb. Dusty, her sister, is definitely a girly girl.

LOL This reminds me of a litter of kittens that my cat had many, many years ago. I gave 2 of the kittens to a friend of ours. Smokey, a sleek gray girl, and Bear, which was a long haired kitty. I thought she was a girl. I was holding her one day and put my hand to support her bottom and felt something strange. Bear was not a she..... but a HE!!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Rusty always acts like a boy and is big like a boy but she is definitely a girl... I always thought she was next to her brother in the womb. Dusty, her sister, is definitely a girly girl.

LOL This reminds me of a litter of kittens that my cat had many, many years ago. I gave 2 of the kittens to a friend of ours. Smokey, a sleek gray girl, and Bear, which was a long haired kitty. I thought she was a girl. I was holding her one day and put my hand to support her bottom and felt something strange. Bear was not a she..... but a HE!!
I'm glad we're not the only ones. 

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't noticed a ton of difference between the personalities of male cats and female cats, so I wouldn't recognize a "tomboy" if I met one! What do you want, for her to wear frilly pink dresses?
A frilly pink dress would have been a great clue!