Lost The Cat I’ve Had Since I Was 7

KimbasMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This happened a couple of months ago but I still cry about it from time to time. My cat was about 13 years old, and her name was Isabella. Our former cat gave birth to her litter when I was 7 years old. My mom let me pick one kitten to keep before we gave the rest up for adoption, and she was so attached to me so I chose her. We went through so much together, she watched me grow up and I even saved her from drowning once. All of my family’s cats have been outdoor/indoor. Our new neighbor recently moved in and we didn’t know she had a huge dog chained up in the back yard. Apparently Isabella was wandering in her yard, got too close, and the dog attacked her. He broke her spine and she ended up losing all feeling in her lower half. My neighbor found her and took her to the vet where she had to be put down. My mom didn’t find out until the next day because the neighbor didn’t know she was our cat. This might be gross and/or sad, but her body was still at the vet, so my step dad went to pick her up. I don’t live with my parents anymore but I came over that night and cradled her body all night, crying and talking to her as if she was still alive. We gave her a proper burial early the next morning. I guess it just makes me really sad knowing she had to endure so much pain and was probably so scared, and she had to be put down with strangers instead of with her family. I really wish I had been able to say goodbye

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry. That's awful. You may not have been with her physically when she crossed the bridge but that was something that could not be helped. You were in her heart and will always be there. She will love you forever just as you will love her forever.

That's not gross. We all grieve in our own way and you needed to hold her one last time. All the pain that was with her in the end is gone. Her body is whole again and there is no pain. She isn't sad and that's not because she doesn't miss you. She knows the day will come when you are reunited again and your friendship will pick right back up again.

You did say goodbye. She heard what you said to her that night. She does not blame anyone for what happened to her. It was a tragic accident. Thankfully your neighbor has enough compassion for her to take her to the vet so she could be set free gently.

RIP dear Isabella. You will always be loved and never forgotten.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love is spiritual. Isabella will forever hold your love in her heart and soul just as you will. You were with her, and always will be. She will be forever as close as your thoughts and prayers.....
There will always be situations in life that are beyond our control. You cannot hold guilt in your heart if you had no control, no intention for something like this to happen. The only thing you held towards that little girl was love.
The bond of love you two formed over teh years will never be taken from you. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and you know your love will survive until the end of time.
To go on without a loved one in your life is hard, it's one of the hardest things to get through in life. It is a process that has no timeline, no instructions on how to begin a life again that is changed so radically. But somehow we do. It is because of that love that somehow we muddle through it, knowing in our hearts that those who have gone on would never want to bring such sadness to those they leave behind. Just as we would never want to bring them if we were the first to go. They live on through us now. So try not to dwell on her death, it changes nothing and brings nothing but heartache. Instead, concentrate on her life. What she meant to you, and how much happiness and joy she brought to your world. She followed your life's journey for a little while, and her new path will forever follow it now.
My heart goes out to you, I know how much this hurts. There will always be those what if's because that is a part of grieving. But time will help to soften those sharp edges that hurt so much right now, because time is teh only things that truly helps. That and help from those who understand your pain.
Take care of yourself. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers......RIP dear Isabella. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My heart broke when I read your story. I am very sorry for your loss and the circumstances of what happened. I am thankful that your neighbor took your cat to the vet and was honest about the situation. There are so many other ways this could have ended, if your neighbor hadn't been a compassionate, truthful person. I will keep you in my prayers. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Isabella, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so, so sorry. What a horrible thing to happen to you both. I will tell you this...Isabella lived in love all her life. She knew without doubt that she was loved. She left this world knowing that she had been and would always be loved. And love does not die, you know, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides. Although you desperately miss Isabella's physical form, her Love is with you now and forever.