Lost My Cat, What Else Can I Do?

Trasnochados

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, and I'm sorry I go straight to the point but I'm starting to feel hopeless.
My cat went out before dawn 4 weeks ago and never came back. He's and inside cat that lived for 8 years on the city and we recently moved and now he has access to the outside. I live right next to a big green space now. I've looked everywhere, I even snuck into building sites at night to see if he was there. My neighboors won't let me into their houses to look for him and so far everyone claims to have seen nothing.
I tried putting up flyers but the get taken down almost immediatly.
I don't know where else to look, what else to do and it's been too long D: what else can I do? I really want him back

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How far have you moved and is it possible he's trying to make his way back to your old place?
Have you broadcast his absence on social media?
Just try and get the message out there in whatever way you can. I don't know where you are but here, local shops will put posters up for missing pets.
I've registered with a service that will make enquiries of vets and rescue centres and generally help by getting the message out.
There's always hope. I had a cat missing for a couple of months and she was living with someone nearby. We found her by telling everyone we knew to keep an eye out for her and someone noticed her.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you called around to local shelters or pound? Or even gone to shelters to take a look? Also the vets in the area. Maybe also ask at stores around if you can put up flyers in their windows/door or if they have a bulletin board if you can put one up there? Have you tried handing out the flyers door to door? Also if you are on any social media I would post on as many as possible to help spread the word.

Unfortunately the fact that they keep getting taken down could mean that someone has him and doesn't want to give him back. So they take the flyers down to prevent anyone knowing, that is why handing out flyers door to door might work better.

Aside from flyers other things you can do is if you still have the litter box, ideally not cleaned, put it outside. Cats can smell it from a good ways off and if he is lost it might help him smell his way home.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I was thinking the same thing that someone is deliberately pulling your posters down.

Don't let that stop you from putting them up, handing them out as mentioned, leaving them on doorsteps, at gas stations if they will let you, grocery stores, pet stores, all over because not everyone is like that, and someone may see or hear something and let you know.

Also if you haven't, try posting about your kitty on Nextdoor . com, and also Pawboost, your Facebook's local lost pet page, Craigslist, Petkey, Petfinder, Tabby Tracker, Pet FBI.

Keep talking to neighbors (maybe their other family members) keep walking and calling to your kitty.
I'm sending you every good thought I have :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trasnochados

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've asked door to door and aproach the litter box thing in two different ways:
First I put it on the roof on the spot momo (that's his name) usually sits, I also put some dirty clothes nerby. Then I read that it might attract hostile cats and that may hinder the chances of momo comming back so I took the box inside and patroled the surroundings making sure no other cats came close to my house.
Then I went out and look for him at night when he might be active, but there are far too many dogs and I fear the constant barking might scare him deeper into hiding, so I stopped looking for him at night.
Someone taking the flyers down intentionally to avoid giving him backs was the first thing that came to my mind.
I don't fear for his safety so much, people here are very friendly to all pets (neighbors often feed eachothers pets) and I've seen momo fight off two dogs (he is big and savage) but I think something happened that either scared him off or lured him away (like a female?) and he just doesn't want to come back D:

I visited vets and we don't have shelter or punds here so no chance of him turning up on one :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DO be aware that we've had cats, especially males, who have come home after being gone for MONTHS! When Momo comes home again, you might consider neutering him, if he isn't already. That would take that need to mate out of the equation.

Trasnochados

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he is neutered, I took him to the vet, he charged me, but there's a female cat in the house and momo wouldn't stop tryng to er... be friendly with her.
Also I forgot, I used to live 200 miles away on the other side of the mountains so I don't think he can go back to were we used to live.
Can he really come back on his own after months? I have physically checked almost every possible place but he just vanished D: is there any other way to look for him? like radars or something :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Is that female cat spayed?
I still think your best course of action is to keep posting on the websites, keep looking and keep putting up posters about him.
And we'll keep both of you in our thoughts and prayers :redheartpump:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, they can and do come home after months. Also, alert your old neighbors to look out for him at his old home. Yes, they do that, too. Don't be shocked if you get a call two months from now that he's in your old yard.

Trasnochados

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no news :( you really think he can cross to the other side of the mountains? The female cat has now taken residence in my room, and sleeps on momo's spot, maybe she misses him too?

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she misses him too. I have a male cat i had neutered at six months old. He's always tried persistently to be friendly, as you phrased it, lol, to other female and male cats. Neutering doesn't always stop those behaviors.
I've heard of cats going long distances to go to their old places, and turning up months or even years later. I'm suspicious that whoever is taking down your flyers has your cat.
Can you hire a tracking dog? They could tell you how recently and exactly where your cat was.

Trasnochados

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately there are no such tracking dogs for hire here. I think only the police has tracking dogs and I'm positive they are not going to help me find my cat.
It's been almost two months now :( waiting is hard

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And we don't know the final end, and sadly, may never. But it isn't time to give up hope yet. The longest I've heard of a cat turning up was measured in YEARS, actually! This is one of the reasons I'm a big advocate of microchipping.