Lost Cat In Maryland

stammily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week ago on our way to the car for a vet visit my cat carrier broke and my sweet boy Ollie got loose. He was (understandably) terrified and ran as fast as he could. I lost sight of him and went to get the treats, but he still hasn't come back. We're worried sick over not knowing where he is, if he's okay, if he'll ever make it home... It's been cold and rainy for most of the days he's been gone, so our hope is that he's hiding out somewhere and will return on his own once it's a little warmer and drier (like it will be the next few days)

I think we've done just about everything we can do to find him. We've searched the neighborhood the best we can without trespassing (and a few friendly neighbors let us search their yards) We've got fliers up on street sign posts and in local businesses. I've done lost pet posts on all the social media places I can find. We've contacted every local vet and shelter. We've tried putting out old clothes and blankets that smell like us, and we've tried putting out his litter box. We've got a motion detecting camera by the door to see if he stops by when we're not around... I really think the only things left to do are keep refreshing fliers, keep walking around the neighborhood with the treats, and waiting.

For those of you with lost cats, how did you deal with the waiting, or the never knowing? We had a kitten pass away from FIP almsot exactly 2 years ago, and that was hard enough, but I think never knowing what happens to Ollie would be so much harder. I go back and forth between feeling really hopeful that he'll make it home, and feeling sure that he's gone forever.

Thanks for listening. Our friends and family are being as supportive as they can, but I don't think many of them really get what we're going though.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I'm so sorry to hear this but I'm really glad you came here.
So you've also posted on lost pet websites - petharbor, home again, pawboost that sort of thing and of course facebook's lost pet section, also Nextdoor . com? Craigslist, and maybe your state has an additional lost and found pet page on facebook.
Like you say, keep walking and calling his name, and keep asking if folks will let you check in garages, sheds. Keep putting up posters anywhere they'll let you (gas stations, grocery stores). It's entirely possible someone is taking care of him and doesn't know about you yet. Go to local vets offices with posters if you haven't already, also have extra flyers with you when you talk to neighbors, sometimes folks don't pay attention unless you actually hand it to them. We are keeping our fingers crossed for you all and are sending you thoughts and prayers. :redheartpump: