Lost a Kitten due to FIP

Hiyall03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but I had a kitten for a little over a month. She was my first cat, little Emery, but she developed wet FIP and I had her put down this past Thursday.

I miss her so much and I can’t help but feel guilty that maybe I made the wrong decision in not trying to get the medication that could have possibly healed her.

I want to get another little kitty as well but I’m worried that the same thing will happen. I don’t think I can go through that again. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do/how long I should wait? I live alone and got pretty used to having a cat around so now it’s just… sad.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but I had a kitten for a little over a month. She was my first cat, little Emery, but she developed wet FIP and I had her put down this past Thursday.

I miss her so much and I can’t help but feel guilty that maybe I made the wrong decision in not trying to get the medication that could have possibly healed her.

I want to get another little kitty as well but I’m worried that the same thing will happen. I don’t think I can go through that again. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do/how long I should wait? I live alone and got pretty used to having a cat around so now it’s just… sad.
I have had 0 experience w/ FIP (so I’d wait for more advice on that, either from your vet or the wise ones here) but do not think this should deter your from having a cat in your life. Emery is a great name, btw. I am sorry you are going through this but at least Emery had love in her last moments.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - I'm so sorry this happened.

This article is informative;
Fip In Cats - TheCatSite

This article does refer to the treatment you may be commenting about;
Feline Infectious Peritonitis

This may help you personally :vibes::hearthrob::rbheart::hearthrob:;

I will lend to you a kitten, God said,
for you to love while it lives, and mourn when it's dead.
Maybe for 12 or 14 years, or maybe 2 or 3,
but will you, 'till I call them back, take care of them for me?
They'll bring their charms to gladden you, and should their stay be brief,
you'll always have their memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise they will stay for all from Earth return,
but there are lessons taught below I want this kitten to learn.

I've looked the whole world over in search of teachers true,
and from the folk's that crowd life's land I have chosen you.
Now will you give it all your love, nor think the labor vain?
Nor hate me when I come to take my kitten home again?
My heart replied, "My Lord, Thy Will Be Done",
for all the joys this kitten brings the risk of grief I'll run.
We'll shelter it with tenderness, we'll love it while we may,
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.
But should you call it back much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand.
If by our love we've managed your wishes to achieve,
Then in memory of it whom we loved, please help us while we grieve.
When our cherished kitten departs this world of strife,
Please send yet another needing soul for us to love all it's life.

Author Unknown

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :rbheart: I'm sorry to hear about Emery passing away. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. 🤗 We had a three year old cat who developed FIP, not a kitten but a young cat. Unfortunately he went downhill very quickly. We waited awhile to adopt another kitty but when we did it helped fill the void of missing him. The new cat was healthy and never developed FIP. Give yourself time and when you are ready I hope you will open your heart to a new furry friend. :lovecat3: