Losing Hair

Tony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that showed yp at my house about 2 months ago and looked like it was starving. I feed the boy, neutered by the way and he has hung around. Now I noticed he is losing hair on his rear end, tail and legs (pictures attached) Can anyone give me a clue as to what may be going on? I have treated him with advantage multi, 10 lb cat and that was 3 weeks ago. I can see no fleas or ticks. Help

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are numerous possible causes for hair loss other than flea related. Food and environmental allergies are just a couple of examples, but the ones you might look at first to see if you can determine if something going on related to either. Fungal or bacterial issues may also cause hair loss. Not entirely impossible is the flea treatment itself, but only likely if the hair loss started after the treatment. Common Causes of Hair Loss (Alopecia) in… | FirstVet

Btw, I only saw one pic attached, just in case you intended to share more.

If you can't find a likely cause, and this cat will let you, you might want to take him to a vet where they can do a skin scraping (sounds much worse than it is) and have the tissue analyzed for various culprits.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he have fleas? You can try putting a clean white towel down where he sits and see if you see any flea dirt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a second picture
Does he have fleas? You can try putting a clean white towel down where he sits and see if you see any flea dirt.
Had fleas before I treated him and now rubbing the hair, what is left backwards I see no fleas. Don't know if cats get mites or not but haven't seen any

Attachments

Tony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are numerous possible causes for hair loss other than flea related. Food and environmental allergies are just a couple of examples, but the ones you might look at first to see if you can determine if something going on related to either. Fungal or bacterial issues may also cause hair loss. Not entirely impossible is the flea treatment itself, but only likely if the hair loss started after the treatment. Common Causes of Hair Loss (Alopecia) in… | FirstVet

Btw, I only saw one pic attached, just in case you intended to share more.

If you can't find a likely cause, and this cat will let you, you might want to take him to a vet where they can do a skin scraping (sounds much worse than it is) and have the tissue analyzed for various culprits.
Thanks, looks like I got some reading to do. The second picture was in a reply to my own initial post. I'm going to PetCo to see what kinds of shampoos, treatment they carry.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly that looks different than I thought it did. Is there anyway you can take her to the vet?
Cats can get mites but it doesn’t usually look like that, but it could. What concerns me is the sores.
The regular Revolution, I don’t like the Revolution Plus. will kill mites. Yet, I wouldn’t be comfortable putting it on skin like that.

I don’t know what area you are in, but where I am, the FCC Feral Cat Coalsyion will do medical exams, treatments, and prescribe medications for feral/outdoor cats, at no charge.
Sometimes an intervention like a steroid injection is needed to stop the itch scratch cycle or cut down on the inflammation.

I don’t know what that is, but it doesn’t look like something that will clear up without a veterinarian.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree - looking at that second pic - this poor little guy needs to be seen by a vet. They could take a skin scraping, as I suggested, and perhaps give him a steroid shot - as mentioned above - to give him some relief.

Tony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, I carried Ricky to the Vet this morning and the Vet said it is an allergic reaction to the saliva in a Flea bite. Took me by surprise I must say, I did not know some cats are allergic to fleas. Got him a capstar and a couple of shot to clear it up. This might be a problem down south, hot weather is here!