Lordosis

Timone and Pumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

This is a long shot, but I'm desperately trying to find some help, rather hope - through other cat parents' experiences - for my kitten.

Timone, my 6 month old male Persian, suddenly stopped walking 3 months ago. The vet said he had a spine curvature and had developed neuropathy, and was prescribed oral steroids for 1 month.

He recovered after 3 weeks and started walking (the problem was in his hind legs), but he couldn't jump up or down from a height. This followed later a very bad flare up of ringworm as he was immunocompromised. The vet advised to use topical ointments and various supplements which helped reduce the ringworm. He had another case of no walking, which improved in a week.

Starting February, he had a light fever and was prescribed antibiotics. The fever went, and he stopped walking again. He started these horrible episodes of sneezes, where if he gets a little excited, he starts hacking/hyperventilating and sneezing. The episodes last for 5-10 mins, and I have to literally move away from the room and leave him alone for him to calm down. The vet started him on antibiotics again, (today is day 4) and antihistamines, thinking it was FHP. I nebulized him, gave him steam therapy, but noticed no nasal discharge.

Today I took him to a vet institute + college where the doctor there did another x-ray and told me he had aa curved spine - Lordidis. They said his condition would deteriorate and the best option was euthanasia.

I am lost for words. The vet didn't explain much to me, and I then sent his x rays to Timone's vet, who explained to me the curvatures were pressing towards his trachea as well as his poop area. I cant just decide on euthanasia without trying for other options. However, surgery is not available in my country (Bangladesh). I have seen in a fee cases online that their babies have grown and coped well despite having Lordisis. How can I snatch away the possibility of a happy life from the little baby?!

Anyone have any experience with such cases? Please share them so I can understand better!

PS. Attaching the X-rays and a photo of my little bubba.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for sharing pics of Timone. I only found two more recent threads for other cats with lordosis, not sure they will be of any help to you. It doesn't look like the OPs have been back on this site for a while now. There is a currently active member who posted in one of these threads about one of their cats with pectus excavatum (where the ribs curve in) and lordosis - mani mani . So, perhaps they have some valuable information to share.
lordosis in kitten | TheCatSite
My cat needs your help. | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timone and Pumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for sharing pics of Timone. I only found two more recent threads for other cats with lordosis, not sure they will be of any help to you. It doesn't look like the OPs have been back on this site for a while now. There is a currently active member who posted in one of these threads about one of their cats with pectus excavatum (where the ribs curve in) and lordosis - mani mani . So, perhaps they have some valuable information to share.
lordosis in kitten | TheCatSite
My cat needs your help. | TheCatSite
Thank you for the thread links! mani mani 's story about Sundar gives me renewed hope that Timone can make it...presently he is experiencing problems breathing..but I fervently hope he can overcome it. He's on medication for the breathing difficulty, so fingers crossed.

Timone and Pumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so sorry Timones going through all this.

I found an article online which may give you some hope using chiropractic treatment options.

Chiropractic Care for Cats - Conditions Treated, Procedure, Efficacy, Recovery, Cost, Considerations, Prevention
Thank you, NekoM NekoM , chiropractic therapy is a total new dimension that I had never considered for spine related issues. Although I'm not too certain about the likelihood of finding a cat chiropractor in my country, I will certainly look it up more. 🙏🙏

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
T Timone and Pumba what a gorgeous boy. :redheartpump:

That is a very pronounced lordosis. My boy's is not as bad, but he also has ribs that curve inwards and so has a very small chest cavity. It really depends on how the boney structures of the body are impeding the internal organs. Unfortunately in this case it's creating issues for the throat and the bowels.. two really critical areas.

I encouraged stretching and did quite a bit of work with Sundar.. he was a lot younger and still 'pliable' but your boy is still growing , and it's a positive thing that he's still with you at six months. I wonder whether a regular chiropractor or osteopath could offer suggestions if you showed them the xrays?

Timone and Pumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
T Timone and Pumba what a gorgeous boy. 

That is a very pronounced lordosis. My boy's is not as bad, but he also has ribs that curve inwards and so has a very small chest cavity. It really depends on how the boney structures of the body are impeding the internal organs. Unfortunately in this case it's creating issues for the throat and the bowels.. two really critical areas.

I encouraged stretching and did quite a bit of work with Sundar.. he was a lot younger and still 'pliable' but your boy is still growing , and it's a positive thing that he's still with you at six months. I wonder whether a regular chiropractor or osteopath could offer suggestions if you showed them the xrays?
I did look around for a Chiropractor but unfortunately haven't found one in my country.

What kind of stretches did you make him do? Unfortunately the Lordidis was only diagnosed last week, but I'm still hoping stretches might help As he's still growing.

He's faring a little better today. Breathing a little better. I just hope the complications don't get worse - I couldn't bear to see him suffer. 😞

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry.. I can't really tell you what stretches as mine addressed more the issues with Sundar's ribs, and that's not an issue with your boy. :hugs:

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Youtube has some stretching techniques

Acupuncture/Acupressure is an easily available option, acupuncturists can work on pets as long as they know the meridian points. Here’s what a feline meridian chart looks like

Cat - Feline Acupuncture Chart

Timone and Pumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry.. I can't really tell you what stretches as mine addressed more the issues with Sundar's ribs, and that's not an issue with your boy. 

I understand. No problem at all. 😊

Timone and Pumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Youtube has some stretching techniques

Acupuncture/Acupressure is an easily available option, acupuncturists can work on pets as long as they know the meridian points. Here’s what a feline meridian chart looks like

Cat - Feline Acupuncture Chart

[🙏/QUOTE]

Thanks. Will take a look 🙏