Loose watery stool after worm medicine -- and one kitten with sticky poo!

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 8 kittens I'm fostering (boy, am I tired!) and the rescue I'm trying to work with told me to get a certain deworming medicine (I think one name for it is Panacur) to deworm the kittens since one had sticky poo and they all had bloated bellies and gas. So today is the last day for them to get their dose. Has anyone else done this? How long will it take the kitten to get firmer poo again? One kitten (who our mgmt here trapped too young) has has sticky poo for at least a week (before the deworm medicine) and still has it and does it on the kitty pads and on my carpeting (argh). I'm trying colostrum in her food which was recommended by my acupuncturist friend since this kitten missed out on her mothers milk which she should have had for another week or two at least. So far, I don't see any improvement. Anyone else have a young kitten with sticky poo and got it to be firm regular stool?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Can you contain the kittens, especially the one with issues so the cleanup is easier?

Also, I'm not clear, did the sticky poo coincide with the colostrum? What color is it?

This website has a lot of information;
Diarrhea — Kitten Lady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Can you contain the kittens, especially the one with issues so the cleanup is easier?

Also, I'm not clear, did the sticky poo coincide with the colostrum? What color is it?

This website has a lot of information;
Diarrhea — Kitten Lady
Wow, thanks for that site. What a lot of useful information. Yes, now that I know which kitten was soiling the carpet, I can keep that kitten contained but BOY can that little kitten yell to be let out.

No, the sticky poo preceded the colostrum. I didn't put that in the food until I saw all of their stools were not good and it wasn't getting better -- and then they were on the worm meds which made it all worse so now I have to try and work on getting all of them to have normal stools before they can be adopted. The poo is a very brown color --- a light to medium kind of brown.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depending on the suggestions by kittenlady and if you can talk to a vet, perhaps a probiotic could help, although it isn't a cure if the problem is more of an actual health-type of issue. Hang in there!!

This is from another kitten website, kitten rescue .org
A GUIDE TO THE RAINBOW OF POOP & URINE COLORS (THE SCOOP ON POOP)
COLOR
Bloody — Actual red blood seen in stool. Could indicate panleukepenia. Grossly abnormal, must be seen ASAP.
Mucous — yellowish/white/clear slimy substance. Indicates severe bowel irritation. Grossly abnormal and needs immediate care.
Black — True dark black color to stool. Usually indicates bleeding high in the bowel. Severe sign, needs immediate attention.
Brown — Normal color. Be happy!
Orange — Usually indicates way too much bile in stool, can occur with reflux. Seek medical advice.
Yellow — Almost always indicates bacterial imbalance in the bowel. If has diarrhea also, usually related to coccidia. Seek medical advice.
White — Grossly abnormal color, usually indicates, severe bacterial imbalance and severe infection in the bowel. Kitten at risk of dying, needs medical attention, ASAP.

CONSISTENCY
Dry/hard — Abnormal, usually indicates dehydration. Seek care, promptly.
Firm — Normal, be happy.
Formed but soft — Low range of normal. If stools change from firm to soft you should seek medical advice.
Toothpaste — Still has somewhat tubular form but falls apart once touched. Abnormal, needs medication.
Cow-patty — Never formed but thick enough it falls into a “cow-patty” shape. Abnormal, animal is at significant risk and needs immediate attention.
Liquidy — Just fluid that falls out of rectum, thin and may have mucous. Abnormal, animal is at severe risk and must be seen immediately.
The “Squirts” — Animal has no control over bowel and watery fluid squirts out of rectum. Grossly abnormal, animal in danger of dying, must be seen immediately!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Judging by that chart the sticky stool kitten's stool is brown and has mucous. It's my thoughts, too, to take that little one to the vet. There is a holistic vet not too far from me, expensive, though, which I think I will try for this little one I call "Dust Bunny" (so cute and little -- he was too young to have left his mom). I was thinking probiotics, too. They also just finished that worm stuff so the watery stuff is pretty bad in all of them still but I found a new kitten food with pumpkin in it and I'm mixing just a spoon of that in the food they were already eating so it's a transition. Gosh, these kittens are costing me an arm and leg on retirement money but a rescue is supposed to be helping me (the only rescue around it seems) but she's so busy (being the only cat rescue) and this is the third week already with no appointment for neutering, and no one asking for adoption (through them -- I like their screening process) and the 3 oldest kittens are growing and growing. Sorry -- went off on a tangent but I feel so frustrated right now taking care of TOO many kittens.