Loose tooth

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today I found The stray I take care of has a loose bottom incisor.He eats treats and dry food well and it doesn't bother him unless I touch it.Is there a home treatment for a loose tooth?My parents can't afford the Vet and I've read that a loose tooth hurts cats a lot.What should I do?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is really no home treatment and I do need to caution you about putting your hand in his mouth and getting bitten. If he is eating, that is a good sign. A loose tooth could signal peridontal disease which you can't handle on your own. Some cats, including older ones, loose teeth with age and continue on being able to eat and live successfully. The tooth may be causing pain; I am inclined to think that if it were very painful the cat would not eat. Watch for other signs of complications like swelling in the face or refusal to eat. If it gets worse, he may need to get some help.

You might google "low cost veterinary care near me" and see if anything comes up in case that might help. If there are cat rescues in your area, they may have access to low cost vets. Most rescues are very impacted by COVID and won't be able to take the cats, but might give you a lead.