Loose stools with mucus and blood in 4mos cat

y00nik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has always had stool issues since she came to us at 10wks. Once I found mucus, I started taking her to the vet. She was put on a prescription diet. (Hills I/d). I mix a little of the canned with the dry because she doesn't eat dry food. It didn't seem to help much and then I found blood so I took her in again. Her stool was tested and Metranadizole was prescribed for the symptoms. Test came back negative and the meds firmed up her stool, but now that she is off the meds, her loose soft stools are back and now when I wipe her butt, I can see blood from her anus. The vet gave her another dewormer just in case even though her test was negative. And I think she's going to treat for coccidia next time along with some tests.

Since there isn't anything I can do at this point but possibly consider changing her diet as I wait for the vet to come up with answers, I'd like to know if anybody has tried Hills I/d and had to switch because it was not helping. I'm a first-time cat mom so I follow what the vet says and if they tell me to feed her prescription, I will. But her stools are not improving. This is so frustrating. My other cat's stools aren't that great either (and they used to be fine). She eats the Hills I/d that the kitten leaves so I wonder if that's causing

What other foods should I consider?Elimination diet ? Should I try fresh food? I see a lot of ads for those, but I'm worried about the quality. I can afford better foods but I just don't know where to start. The only treats I give them are dried salmon, which they love.

***my kitten is a strictly indoor cat (as is my other 7mos old cat), eats well, plays well, sleeps well, drinks plenty of water (I have 3 fountains scattered around the house)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you change diets, do it over a long period of time, switching diets can cause lots of problems too. You might try something bland, like chicken or turkey, and also for digestion problems or allergies. you might switch those salmon treats to something with chicken and see if that helps, or try not to give them any treats for a week. I know a few too many treats causes my cats to have instant diarrhea, I avoid them now or just give a few. I gave my cats some canned salmon food last week. One vomited, and one got diarrhea. Needless to say, I will stay away from salmon. They don't do that with tuna or whitefish meals. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

y00nik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you change diets, do it over a long period of time, switching diets can cause lots of problems too. You might try something bland, like chicken or turkey, and also for digestion problems or allergies. you might switch those salmon treats to something with chicken and see if that helps, or try not to give them any treats for a week. I know a few too many treats causes my cats to have instant diarrhea, I avoid them now or just give a few. I gave my cats some canned salmon food last week. One vomited, and one got diarrhea. Needless to say, I will stay away from salmon. They don't do that with tuna or whitefish meals. All the luck!
Thank you! I was actually considering switching the salmon treats to chicken. I only give them treats after I brush their teeth so they get used to the brushing.