Looking to adopt a new cat should it be a Boy or Girl?

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I have two female cats now, one very old at 15, and another still a kitten at 9 months. So the older cat really wants nothing to do with the kitten as all she wants to do is play, and old lady wants nothing to do with it. So we were thinking of getting another kitten. What would be easier to integrate? A boy or girl?

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s all up to their individual temperament for the most part, but in my experience boys are usually the safer bet and more easy going when it comes to accepting and loving on other cats. I had female littermates way back in the past who got along great as kittens but then hated each other once reaching maturity.

I am in basically the same situation as you are, but my youngest is a boy. I plan to look into getting him a little friend in a few months, and I will look for another boy.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rather than male or female I would suggest to focus on getting a personality that will fit with your other two, especially as your older one has had some urinary issues.

Find a young one that has been fostered in a home with an older cat perhaps and ensure that the new cat likes to do things that your other ones like to do.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you doing it to spare the 15 year old by distracting the 9 month old, or to get a friend for the 9 month old? I'm not a huge fan of the first reason, since its always possible to get a kitten that is even more active, and still wants to bother the 15 year old despite having a sibling. Maybe on average its less of a hassle for the 15 year old due to them distracting each other, but making things worse is definitely possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you doing it to spare the 15 year old by distracting the 9 month old, or to get a friend for the 9 month old? I'm not a huge fan of the first reason, since its always possible to get a kitten that is even more active, and still wants to bother the 15 year old despite having a sibling. Maybe on average its less of a hassle for the 15 year old due to them distracting each other, but making things worse is definitely possible.
A little of both to be honest. More so I think older cat is getting stressed. She has health issues as it is but find she is now hiding much of the day. Assume it’s so the kitten leaves her alone. Was hoping if she had a friend , the kitten would leave older cat alone.

but also realize that kitten could use a playmate.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A little of both to be honest. More so I think older cat is getting stressed. She has health issues as it is but find she is now hiding much of the day. Assume it’s so the kitten leaves her alone. Was hoping if she had a friend , the kitten would leave older cat alone.

but also realize that kitten could use a playmate.
Either way you'll still likely have to shut the younger two away for a bit each day to teach them to leave her alone.

You should keep at this until the younger one(s) conform to schedule (put them in a safe room with some toys, possibly food).

We did this for a full year with Magnus. Eventually he took himself to bed during those times and we didn't close the door (in the afternoon) but still had to shut the door at night.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello I have two female cats now, one very old at 15, and another still a kitten at 9 months. So the older cat really wants nothing to do with the kitten as all she wants to do is play, and old lady wants nothing to do with it. So we were thinking of getting another kitten. What would be easier to integrate? A boy or girl?
When my cat josie was 12 yrs old,I rescued a 5 week kitten,female. At first Josie did not like her, Peaches, but after a few days Josie would clean her every morning. 2 yrs later I rescued Coco,another female,2 yrs old that lived outside for 2 yrs. Josie immediately was attached to her. She would clean Coco for half hour every morning. Difference is that Coco was not as energetic as Peaches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat josie was 12 yrs old,I rescued a 5 week kitten,female. At first Josie did not like her, Peaches, but after a few days Josie would clean her every morning. 2 yrs later I rescued Coco,another female,2 yrs old that lived outside for 2 yrs. Josie immediately was attached to her. She would clean Coco for half hour every morning. Difference is that Coco was not as energetic as Peaches.
All cats have different personalities I suppose. In my case my older cat, Lola, has accepted her fate that we have this other cat in the house(Taffy) who is a kitten still. But she seems to feel uncomfortable with her , since she always wants to play. And pulls sunrise attacks all the time. Not just to Lola but to all of us. We all think it’s funny. But not Lola

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie likes to startle Peaches. Now senior. They keep their distance though problem arises when Maggie wants her spot. It doesnot help that peaches is only 6.5pds. Maggie is 9 pds,long and skinny with curvy hips. Walks like a lady!

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I've read over the years, speaking in generalities, two boys get along well, a boy and a girl (what we did) get along well, but a girl and girl is more risky. I'd narrow it down to a boy and just look for personality. Downside though is that boys are more likely to have urinary blockages, ours did once years ago and that was expeeensive!