Looking To Adopt A Male Kitten That Needs A Home

RyAlexander18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I am looking to adopt a male kitten in need of a home. I have been looking through website and asking around and I have gotten really no where. I am a college student so I do not have that much extra money to spend but my grandmother told me to ask around and see if someone has kittens that are in need of a home. I am looking to adopt this kitten for one of my friends. She is going through a hard time and I got permission from her mom to get another kitten because it would make her so happy. She already has two older cats who get along with many other animals and that's why it needs to be a make. This cat would be more loved by her then any other place possible. I am in college right now so money is something really tight for me but the cat would live with my friend and would have everything it needs and more.. But I know this kitten will be in a good home, treated right and with so much love. If you know of anywhere or anyone in the New England area that has a male kitten that needs a home please reach out and let me know thank you.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend that you take your friend to pick a kitten at a shelter. That way she can meet the cats available and find the one who is the best match on both sides. I really don’t recommend pets being given as gifts.

It’s a lovely thought and lovely for you to care for your friend!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There are plenty of shelters in Massachusetts right now that have kittens. Good Luck!

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really don't recommend adopting a cat if you're a --college-- student. I'm a grad student so I have a part-time job and I get help because I'm under the poverty line, and it's a struggle. Vet bills are high and anything can happen, especially with kittens who often start off their new life with a respiratory infection. Just the vet consult is $70 (min.). You can get the cat vaccinated at a low-cost clinic, but for the rest it's all vet and $$$. For a URI (upper respiratory infection), I spent about $500 because he couldn't breathe properly and I ran to the emergency clinic. Just the consultation is 100+ at an emergency place.

That doesn't even cover monthly expenses of food + litter, you need to get toys and a cat tree and a carrier etc. It's a lot of money.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just because someone is a college student doesn’t mean they can’t take care of a cat. People also work long hours and can care for them...

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's important for your friend to meet and bond with the kitten before it officially joins the family. Surprising people with pets or choosing a pet for another person is not really recommended. I agree with the suggestion about going to the shelter with your friend and helping her pick her kitten out.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just because someone is a college student doesn’t mean they can’t take care of a cat. People also work long hours and can care for them...
Well I worked long hours on top of my schoolwork and i had to call mommy to help me pay the $500 bill ;)

Anyway I see that I read the OP wrong and he’s not the adopter. My bad!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens are awfully energetic and mischief making. You say your friend is going through a hard time. It might not be a good idea to add a kitten to your friend's issues whatever those may be. Have you specifically asked your friend if she wants a kitten and has the time and energy for one? Her Mom might not really know what she wants. You might also suggest fostering kittens for a local shelter or rescue or volunteering as an alternative to owning a kitten. Some shelters and rescues do not allow pets to be adopted as a gift for someone else.

I think it's great that you care for your friend :agree: Getting a kitten for her may not be the best way to support her during this difficult time she's going through, though. The best thing to do is to be there for your friend when she needs someone to talk to. You might not have the answers to the issues but at least you can listen and be supportive.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
People give away free kittens all the time. Check FB groups, craigslist, bargain bulletins, newspapers, classified ads. It's not hard to find a free kitten.