Looking For Suggestions

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Background: My Molly Brown is a rescue who has been with me 3 months. After 2 weeks of hiding initially, she has become a total love--sleeps with me and jumps into my lap when I'm in my chair to watch TV. She is 4, and was 'rescued' after being thrown from a car a year ago (and spent a year at the shelter).

Problem: The other day, when she was 'cuddled' in my lap with my arms around her, I moved very gently to see if she'd let me hold her. It was like an instant 'trigger'--she flew from me with claws extended in defense (didn't scratch me) and was gone for quite a while. I attempted the same thing (very, very gently) a couple of days later, and she reacted exactly the same way.

When I talked to my vet about it (Molly was boarded with the vet for that year), she told me that although they handle the cats with a big towel for protection, her assistant had been scratched by Molly once when she didn't wrap her well. My vet thinks (as I do) that her resistance to being held is based on her past abuse. Who knows how she was treated before finally thrown out!

My vet's advice is to gradually get her used to having my hands and arms around her, but I explained that's not a problem because I often 'cuddle' her when she jumps into my lap, and she actually likes me to envelop her with my arms, but and even the slightest pressure the signals I might pick her up will set her off.

I don't really 'need' to hold her, but I'm concerned that in an emergency, I might not be able to manage to get her out of the house. I am used to using a towel because my first cat was 'difficult,' and I became adept with the towel because I needed to pill her for a while. So I think that in an emergency, the towel will work. I don't want to 'practice' with it because there's no sense in stressing her unnecessarily.

I also use a stroller as a carrier. I've moved it into the kitchen, and I only give her treats in the stroller (she's a sucker for treats:-) She's wary, but if I stay away, she readily gets in
and eats her treats there. My hope is that she's think of it as a 'good place,' and if necessary down the road, I might be able to lure her into it rather than pick her up, etc.

Perhaps more time with me will help. Her annual shots are not due until August, so we have time to work on this. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... poor Molly. Thank you for rescuing her. :petcat:

I don't have any suggestions for you, as my adopted girl, Ruby, also hates being held or restrained in any way. She is a total love bug, and will nap on my lap, and snuggles beside me in bed. But if I pick her up she squirms and wiggles and tries to jump down. She also squirms away if I put my arms around her, if she's like sitting on the bed. She doesn't run away from me, but she clearly doesn't like it. I suspect it has something to do with when she was a stray, but of course there's no way to know. Maybe it's just her personality.

I get your concern about having to get Molly out of the house in a hurry. I also don't know how I'd get Ruby out of the house. Maybe wrapped in a blanket. I don't think a towel would be big enough.

I do on occasion pick Ruby up, and I have managed a couple times to hold her in my arms for 10 or seconds or so, but that's about it. I've thought of "rewarding" her with treats for letting me hold her. Must try that. Maybe it might work with Molly too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responding. When I mention 'towel,' I mean something BIG, like a bath sheet. You don't want it too big (like a blanket) because it might be too cumbersome (and the cat would wiggle out).

My vet suggested treats, and since your Ruby at least gives you a few seconds, I'd reward her with treats every time. She'll soon associate being held with treats.

That's what I plan to do with Molly if we ever get to a few seconds:-)