Looking for feedback on Feline I-131 Therapy

shelbyk1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, we are two years into hyperthyroidism and Gracie’s bloodwork has been high on the last two visits. I scheduled a consult for I-131 Therapy. All other bloodwork is great! She has some arthritis in her leg. Can anyone share their experience after the treatment was done? How old was your cat at the time of treatment?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My former, girl, Murphy developed hyperthyroid with associated heart issues when she was 13 years old. She started on oral meds but she vomited from them so we had to go the radioactive treatment route. Before they could do that she first need some weeks on a heart medication.

There was a local clinic that did only radioactive treatments and kept the cats for two weeks. They called every day and gave me updates. When I was able to pick her up the vet warned she may be withdrawn and quiet from being on cage rest, but they didn’t know my girl. She was so vocal and wound up that I finally left the house so that she would settle down and sleep. No aftereffects at all except she went from a tiny four pounds to about 5.5, her usual weight.
All follow up visits were fine.

Murphy developed cancer at 18 and died a year later.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat who was diagnosed with H-T over a year ago started with Methimazole in the transdermal gel form. However, our vet strongly recommended the I-131 Radioactive Iodine Therapy since all his tests and labs indicated no organ involvement. We considered two different specialty veterinary hospitals and went with the one that did Scintigraphy since the treatment method and success rate is more thorough. I strongly suggest you choose a facility that offers Scintigraphy. Since we adopted our cat and unfortunately his teeth were in such bad condition, e.g. cracked and broken, we did not know his age but the vet thinks he was approx. 11 or 12 yrs. old when he received the treatment. Obviously we were nervous especially since he had to stay at the hospital for five days but the staff was very attentive and encouraged us to call as often as we liked. We followed their list of instructions religiously when he came home and fortunately looking back it was a very positive experience. I hope the same for you and please feel free to ask any questions. 🤗

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelbyk1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My former, girl, Murphy developed hyperthyroid with associated heart issues when she was 13 years old. She started on oral meds but she vomited from them so we had to go the radioactive treatment route. Before they could do that she first need some weeks on a heart medication.

There was a local clinic that did only radioactive treatments and kept the cats for two weeks. They called every day and gave me updates. When I was able to pick her up the vet warned she may be withdrawn and quiet from being on cage rest, but they didn’t know my girl. She was so vocal and wound up that I finally left the house so that she would settle down and sleep. No aftereffects at all except she went from a tiny four pounds to about 5.5, her usual weight.
All follow up visits were fine.

Murphy developed cancer at 18 and died a year later.
I'm sorry to hear about Murphy. You have 5 additional years. Thanks for sharing,

The methinizole does not seem to be doing the trick. Current dose is 5mg am and 5pm. I scheduled a consult for 4/24 and hopefully she will remain in good health to get through this.

Bloodwork was great in Jan 2023. T4 is so unstable, in/out of range. She lost .5 lb in a month. We have done methinizole pills and liquid. Its been a battle.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I scheduled a consult for 4/24 and hopefully she will remain in good health to get through this.
Good luck on your upcoming consultation next month. Fingers crossed she remains stable and can get the I-131 treatment. :crossfingers::crossfingers: Please keep us posted.