Looking for cat food that won’t make cat gassy

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need suggestions. My poor little 6 pound cat gets terrible gas. She’s been to the vet, had meds, etc. I think it’s food related. She eats wet and dry. I think she needs lower fiber. Anyone have experience with Tiki Born Carnivore dry? Or Farmina? ALL suggestions welcomed. Thank you!! Also if you had a gassy kitty and had success with a certain wet food I’d love to know that as well.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been tested for parasites? What is she currently eating for wet/dry? How old is she?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet have any ideas or suggestions for you or did the vet just :dunno: and send you on your way?

Sometimes it's an ingredient in food that causes gas and other tummy issues in sensitive cats. Dry food in particular seems to cause more issues than canned food. Any number of ingredients can cause tummy issues: protein, grains, starches, gums, certain oils, etc.

You could try a limited ingredient bland-ish food trial for a good 13 weeks or so to see if that helps any. The Rawz brand is often suggested but it's expensive so not many people can feed that exclusively. You can try these other brands:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Koha
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
www.naturalbalanceinc.com
Fresh & Natural Cat Food - Hound & Gatos

Adding a probiotic may be helpful and certainly can't hurt. You can use a Human probiotic instead of a pet specific one. Here's some info:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has she been tested for parasites? What is she currently eating for wet/dry? How old is she?
She is 2 years old. My vet has not tested her for parasites, I will ask at our visit this week. She has had an X-ray that showed her little intestines full of gas.
She is currently eating Nutro Sensitive dry food and Wellness canned food. The vet prescribed Hill’s Gastrointestinal biome, but I think it made her gas worse. Plus she stopped eating it so I put her back on the Wellness.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the vet have any ideas or suggestions for you or did the vet just :dunno: and send you on your way?

Sometimes it's an ingredient in food that causes gas and other tummy issues in sensitive cats. Dry food in particular seems to cause more issues than canned food. Any number of ingredients can cause tummy issues: protein, grains, starches, gums, certain oils, etc.

You could try a limited ingredient bland-ish food trial for a good 13 weeks or so to see if that helps any. The Rawz brand is often suggested but it's expensive so not many people can feed that exclusively. You can try these other brands:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Koha
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
www.naturalbalanceinc.com
Fresh & Natural Cat Food - Hound & Gatos

Adding a probiotic may be helpful and certainly can't hurt. You can use a Human probiotic instead of a pet specific one. Here's some info:

[/URL]
[/URL]
The vet gave her a medicine called metoclopramide. It seems to help her have better bowel movements, but she’s still pretty gassy. She also vomits a few times a week. They also have her on FortaFlora. Alas, her gas continues. I feel badly that I haven’t been able to figure it out

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So gas in her intestines is gastritis and can be painful. It can also cause her to feel lethargic, uncomfortable when she sits/lays down, and can cause nausea. The only way for it to resolve is for it to pass through the intestines. Most likely it is coming from the food she's been eating. This happened with my kitty when we added Wellness to his diet. The last time it happened (last month), it was from a change in something in his Science Diet i/d food.

I would try a different food to see if you can narrow it down. If she's not eating, try plain meat baby food to get something in her to keep her eating. Don't get a sampling of food, but try a single flavor of another wet food and dry food. I now feed my guy Royal Canin gastro wet and dry.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So gas in her intestines is gastritis and can be painful. It can also cause her to feel lethargic, uncomfortable when she sits/lays down, and can cause nausea. The only way for it to resolve is for it to pass through the intestines. Most likely it is coming from the food she's been eating. This happened with my kitty when we added Wellness to his diet. The last time it happened (last month), it was from a change in something in his Science Diet i/d food.

I would try a different food to see if you can narrow it down. If she's not eating, try plain meat baby food to get something in her to keep her eating. Don't get a sampling of food, but try a single flavor of another wet food and dry food. I now feed my guy Royal Canin gastro wet and dry.
Sounds like Freya! I feed her Wellness because that’s what her foster family fed her. She likes it, but maybe it is causing the gas. She often prefers to sit next to one of us and “recline” like a person in a recliner. I’ve been wondering if they position makes her tummy feel better. I’m willing to try almost anything to make this kitty feel better. The vet also gave her a B12 shot which helped a ton, but seemed to wear off after 3 or 4 days

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wellness is a good brand but if it causes tummy issues, then you should try a different brand. A better probiotic than FortiFlora may be helpful. FortiFlora is only really good to get inappetant cats to eat because of the irresistible taste.

Some cats like to sit and lie in strange positions so it's hard to say if your cat's position indicates possible tummy issues.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like Freya! I feed her Wellness because that’s what her foster family fed her. She likes it, but maybe it is causing the gas. She often prefers to sit next to one of us and “recline” like a person in a recliner. I’ve been wondering if they position makes her tummy feel better. I’m willing to try almost anything to make this kitty feel better. The vet also gave her a B12 shot which helped a ton, but seemed to wear off after 3 or 4 days
My guy also got a B12 shot and it wore off fairly quickly. We also started giving him Cerenia from the vet, but have switched to generic Pepcid, 10 mg (the Walmart brand) and that helped settle his tummy and got him to eat better. We also give him the human probiotic s. boullardi to help firm up his stools.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guy also got a B12 shot and it wore off fairly quickly. We also started giving him Cerenia from the vet, but have switched to generic Pepcid, 10 mg (the Walmart brand) and that helped settle his tummy and got him to eat better. We also give him the human probiotic s. boullardi to help firm up his stools.
Thank you! We go to the vet on Thursday and I’ll ask her about the Pepcid. I’ve been saying to my husband “I think she needs some kind of kitty Tums or something”. I just wanna check the dose since she’s so little. Thank you for replying. It helps so much to know I’m not alone 😊

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure to use only Pepcid AC (or generic equivalent. I have the CVS brand for my cat) if the vet ok's it. Do not use Pepcid Complete which contains an ingredient that is toxic to cats. The vet will suggest a dose, usually a quarter of a Pepcid AC 10 mg tablet once or twice a day.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure to use only Pepcid AC (or generic equivalent. I have the CVS brand for my cat) if the vet ok's it. Do not use Pepcid Complete which contains an ingredient that is toxic to cats. The vet will suggest a dose, usually a quarter of a Pepcid AC 10 mg tablet once or twice a day.
Thank you very much - that's important to know