Looking For Advice...

BearlyWoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story short: we had a few cats in/out of our barn (no horses right now) over the winter we were feeding. We monitored the activity with a trailcam. One little black cat looked to take up permanent residence. We live-trapped him, brought him to MN SNAP and had him neutered. We brought him home with the intention of at least getting him to be friendly enough to be "approachable" in case he needed anything in the future. We locked him in our tack room. For 2 weeks all he would do is hide when I came out there. So we live-trapped him again and we have him in a large dog crate in the tack room. That was 10 days ago. We are not making much progress. I go out twice a day with food, I sit and read to him. All he wants to do is hide under his dog bed. Can someone give me some advice? It's cold here in Minnesota so we still have the heat lamp going, litter box, water, dry food, and canned food. Should I not leave food out and then try to feed him with a spoon? Should I try to touch him? I feel like we are not getting anywhere. He was neutered on March 8. He must be absolutely traumatized.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Should I not leave food out and then try to feed him with a spoon? Should I try to touch him?
I personally wouldn't force the issue. This is going to happen on his terms :)

If you're looking directly at him, don't do that as it can intimidate some cats, and yours sounds very shy.

Try some music (just for a couple hours, not constantly 24/7), and continue sitting with him. There's low volume classical harp music, there's an app called Relax My Cat, and MusicForCats . com as some sources.

There might be some things in these you could apply;

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I feel like we are not getting anywhere
It's normal for the cat to hide since he was being trapped and placed in a new environment and progress with them takes time.

What you are doing for him is great. In order to have him gain trust in you, you can leave some of your clean unwashed garments with him so that he can soak up your scents and get use to you when you approach him.

Stay low and keep your distance and continue your readings and everyday move closer and closer to him. Yes, you may want to spoon feed him and that's a good start of getting him trust you and associate you with food.

Great tips from Furballsmom Furballsmom and try to do the slow blink with him. Try slow blinking and then look away. This way it means that you are submissive to him and not picking a fight with him. Do this often till you get a response from him and if you do get a response from him, it means chances are good that he trust you.

It takes time, love, patience and routine for it to work. So please don't give up and we thank you for taking him in and have him neutered and check by the vet :clapcat:

Last edited:

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking care of this little guy! Are you planning on bringing him inside and making him an indoor-only cat? It would be really great if you could! If you ARE planning on that, and you have an extra room in the house, you could give him a little more space and continue to work with him where it is more comfortable (and warmer!) for both of you! Are there other cats, too, that need neutering or is he the only one still hanging around?

About six months ago, I brought inside a semi-feral cat that I had been feeding and sheltering for three years through some pretty harsh winters. She still won't let me pick her up or touch her, but if I have treats, I can pet her while she is eating! She was in a "safe room" for several months and is finally out and allowed to explore the whole house. I'm still trying to get her more socialized and comfortable with me. You need a lot of patience and willingness to go at the cat's pace. I suggest that you do not try to pet him yet. Take things very slowly. There are lots of people on TCS who have lots of experience with this and will give you advice and support. I found it helpful to read through some of the other postings for more ideas.

Good luck and let us know how it is going!