Looking For Advice For Healthy Kittens

lldoyle84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bred my Himalayan female to a Siamese and even though the pregnancy was closely monitored my cat only had one kitten and it didn't live through the night. I work as a vet assistant and the veterinarian wanted one of her kittens so my cat was kept in the best health but the pregnancy was weird from the beginning. In the initial ultrasound there were 4 kittens, then in the next there were 3. We did an xray at day 48 and there were still no formed bones and in the last ultrasound we only found the 1 kitten. My cat also didn't seem to have much interest in the kitten once it was born but we did a necropsy and the kitten had a pretty severe cleft palate so survival wasn't a likely outcome and I wonder if my cat knew something was wrong with it? It's been about 6 months since the birth. Anyway I recently adopted a 1 year old Male Persian and although breeding her again was not planned my daughter left a door open and I am fairly certain that they mated. My male was neutered this week so this won't be happening again but I wondered if anyone who has experience might have some advice for a healthy pregnancy and birth. Both cats have had full exams and bloodwork done and they're both perfectly healthy. I would appreciate any help or advice. Thank you for reading!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you wish to end the pregnancy, you can spay her now. Have the parents been health tested? Do you have pedigrees for them or family history?

If you wish to allow the pregnancy, mom should start eating kitten food now. She can have unlimited dry food and meals of wet food. Make sure she doesn't get any vaccines now.

Do you plan to spay mom after this litter?