Long-term foster to adoption question

BTPhilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there, I'm new to this site and have a 7-year old Bombay and just adopted a young kitten :)

Technically, we are only fostering the 7yo for a friend of a friend who left the country in November of 2017. My wife and I live in a large house with a nice patio where the cat has tons of room to roam and play, and she's grown quite attached to us.

The original owner adopted her in November 2014 and said she wants to come back and reclaim her in September of 2021. We asked her about the possibility of just adopting her permanently, but she said she definitely wants her back.

My wife and I have no intentions of actually sending her back to the original owner after taking care of her for almost 4 years and approximately half of her lifetime. Is this legit, or wrong of us? I don't think the cat would be happy having to resettle after all this time.

Please give your opinions. Thanks! Bronson

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah I'd say no too, the original owner would no longer be considered the owner of the cat, so has no legal rights to the cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From the point of view of the cat's best interest, I'm with you! It could get tricky under the law. Is the cat registered, and is the former owner's name on the registry? Has she been sending money to you for ALL upkeep, including vet bills, food, furnishings, etc? If she has not, if you have been providing everything for this cat, then in MANY places, the cat would be legally considered to have been abandoned to you, and you are the legal owners now. I'd talk to someone familiar with animal ownership laws in your area, and get any needed proof of ownership gathered well before she comes back to try to claim the cat.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-830568.gif
BTPhilly and kitty, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
Welcome-Cats-Animated-welcome-comment-001.gif

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink: