long term diarreah in 10m old Ragdoll

lily_evans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone
I recently bought a 10 month old Ragdoll blue point cat called Skye
The owner made me aware that she had been having diarreah for a few days and was on a course of antibiotics given by the vets and on the road to recovery….
I didn’t mind this and still purchased the cat believing she would be better soon.
After obtaining the cats vet records from previous vet we learned she’s actually been having diarreah for a few weeks not days as the seller described.
After a few days of giving her the antibiotics she was still having bad diarreah so I took her to the vet where they prescribed me a stronger anti biotic and a change in food specially for cats with diarreah and also probiotics.
I have just finished the course of stronger antibiotics but she still has diarreah! I have switched to dry food only but still no joy. She has vomited around three times in the last week and her rectum is sore from the diarreah and constantly licking it.
She still plays ALOT and eats ALOT which is a good sign….
We are taking her to the vets again on Monday for a stool sample, but does anyone know what might be wrong with her?
Any advice is appreciated
Pic of skye below and also her poop
Thank you

Attachments

Val Boyington

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone
I recently bought a 10 month old Ragdoll blue point cat called Skye
The owner made me aware that she had been having diarreah for a few days and was on a course of antibiotics given by the vets and on the road to recovery….
I didn’t mind this and still purchased the cat believing she would be better soon.
After obtaining the cats vet records from previous vet we learned she’s actually been having diarreah for a few weeks not days as the seller described.
After a few days of giving her the antibiotics she was still having bad diarreah so I took her to the vet where they prescribed me a stronger anti biotic and a change in food specially for cats with diarreah and also probiotics.
I have just finished the course of stronger antibiotics but she still has diarreah! I have switched to dry food only but still no joy. She has vomited around three times in the last week and her rectum is sore from the diarreah and constantly licking it.
She still plays ALOT and eats ALOT which is a good sign….
We are taking her to the vets again on Monday for a stool sample, but does anyone know what might be wrong with her?
Any advice is appreciated
Pic of skye below and also her poop
Thank you
You should have her tested for giardia. A fecal float may not show it. I pray for both of you that its not. I have been dealing with this problem for a very long time. It costs $200. For the fecal test they send out to be tested. If you have other animals please quarantine her. Bleach food+ water bowls and litter pan every day. Also, clean up the mess with bleach water. I pray it is something else.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You did not say what tests had been run, but in addition to the giardia, you also want him tested for coccidia. If he is negative for BOTH of these, ask your vet about the possibilities of food allergies.