Long saga of cat illness

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
My boy Dumpling (1.5 yrs) has been through the ringer the last month. In early Feb he had a fever, which went away but came back two weeks later with nausea so the vet did a blood test and put him on antibiotics. The blood test came back with white blood cells elevated so the vet ordered an ultrasound and xray which both came back clear. By this point, the fever had broken (either resolved itself or in response to antibiotics) but he now had diarrhea. A poop test came back for giardia AND feline coronavirus. Neither is surprising as unfortunately the new kitten I got in Dec tested positive for coronavirus, and Dumpling had giardia over a year ago. A poop test 3 or so months ago showed he still had giardia, but he was asymptomatic by then (he was healthy when he had the poop test but his brother had suddenly and mysteriously died so I had Dumpling checked up).

Anyway, long story short... this is day 4/5 of panacur treatment and aside from some explosive and at times leaky poos, he's been fine. But since this morning he's been hiding away and has low energy. He eats a bit if I put food in front of him, but he really doesn't seem himself.

I'm guessing this is either the symptoms of giardia or feline coronavirus OR it's from the panacur, but after 1 month of him being sick (and the month before the kitten was sick with coronavirus), I'm stressed out of my mind. And my vet is on vacation (he is a solo outfit, no one else to call). I don't think any vet would tell me to do anything except finish the panacur and wait.

Would love any reassurance....I'm so tired of stressing about sick cats and cleaning up diarrhea.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could be the meds and/or giardia causing the diarrhea and lethargy. Panacur is known to cause both in some cats. I think you don't have much choice but to continue with the meds as he needs to be rid of giardia. Just keep trying to get him to eat, up to and including non-cat food if necessary. Then call the vet when they are back in the office if Dumpling is still 'off', explain his symptoms, to see if the vet might be able to give you something to help him out.

I doubt the coronavirus has anything to do with it. Most of the time at the onset of infection cats may have some effects as they fight it off, but those subside and at that point the coronavirus lies dormant in their system, rarely presenting another issue. Some cats can be carriers, which could explain if Dumpling might have gotten it from the kitten. However, it is highly likely Dumping was infected earlier in his life, and you would have no way to know that unless you had previously tested him for it. I've heard that upwards of 80% of all cats have coronavirus antibodies in their systems.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes, even if the vet is out of the office, the staff is still there. He may need the addition of metronidazole to his panacure, but that is up to the vet. I would still call the office and report the symptoms he is experiencing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, even if the vet is out of the office, the staff is still there. He may need the addition of metronidazole to his panacure, but that is up to the vet. I would still call the office and report the symptoms he is experiencing.
He's a mobile vet with no staff, so unfortunately there is no one to call!

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. It could be the meds and/or giardia causing the diarrhea and lethargy. Panacur is known to cause both in some cats. I think you don't have much choice but to continue with the meds as he needs to be rid of giardia. Just keep trying to get him to eat, up to and including non-cat food if necessary. Then call the vet when they are back in the office if Dumpling is still 'off', explain his symptoms, to see if the vet might be able to give you something to help him out.

I doubt the coronavirus has anything to do with it. Most of the time at the onset of infection cats may have some effects as they fight it off, but those subside and at that point the coronavirus lies dormant in their system, rarely presenting another issue. Some cats can be carriers, which could explain if Dumpling might have gotten it from the kitten. However, it is highly likely Dumping was infected earlier in his life, and you would have no way to know that unless you had previously tested him for it. I've heard that upwards of 80% of all cats have coronavirus antibodies in their systems.
Thank you for this advice. I think I do just have to wait. My main concern is that his current hiding and possible nausea isn't related to the giardia or panacur, but it's the fever returned. He did 7 days of antibiotics and the fever was gone on day 4 and 7 (he was at the vets on these days) so hopefully it's still gone, but I have no way of knowing. They never worked out the source of the fever.

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm back again stressed and anxious because today he's been more low energy than yesterday plus he's possibly in some mouth related pain?
Since Wednesday, I've been syringing the panacur once a day and a probiotic paste twice a day (he won't eat it mixed with food), and it's been relatively smooth sailing.
This morning, he reacted to me syringing the prokolin by meowing angrily/as if in pain.
Then later, I put down some of his fave treats (greenies, which are quite hard) and halfway through eating the first one he meowed in the same way and ran off.
Just now he's eaten his dinner (with lots of encouragement, but he ate the whole thing), then he gagged and did the same pained meow.
I've tried to look in his mouth but when I open wide enough to see properly he meows in pain and runs off to hide.
I'm not sure that in addition to the weeks of fever, the diarrhea, etc. he's now got something in his mouth or throat, or if this is a response to feeling nauseated? Or maybe I've hurt his mouth with the syringes?