Lonely Cat Is Aggressive Towards Me

RejectCo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my mom had to have a huge surgery 8 months ago and hasn't been able to go home and live with her cat (he is 1 year and 1 month old now) I have been feeding him and cleaning his litter box every day, he is an inside cat, recently he has started becoming very aggressive toward me, to the point where I have to fight to get out of the house, I can't take him home to live with me because my building doesn't allow cats and my mom will eventually be able to go home, my question is, how can I deal with his aggressive behaviour and keep him calm until she can return? Also, I am having him neutered tomorrow - will this help his behaviour?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes neutering will help! It might take a couple of weeks. Staying calm helps. I might use a squirt bottle if he attacks me & carry it with me. Also you might try avoiding eye contact and not petting him unless he approaches you.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
You can click or touch the article titles it will take you to the article. You can also go to the Article section and search for articles using keywords.

Read through this before using a squirt bottle.

5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

You should read through the Stress articles on the site. I would imagine the cat is stressed out with your mother away from the home.

First thing is don't get stressed out with the cat, it makes things worse.

You, Your Cat And Stress

Articles on stress.

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?

Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You think he's attacking out of loneliness because he doesn't want you to leave? Are you playing with him and petting him while you're there or just feeding and cleaning the box? He might just need a little attention, do you think? If so, you might even pack a bag and do a sleep-over once a week or so. How long before your mom comes home? Sorry for all the questions. I really didn't get enough information to say much.

Neutering him will calm him, but it will take a few weeks for the testosterone and other hormones to readjust.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Eight months is a very long time for a cat to be alone most of the time especially when he was just a few months old when your mother became ill. He has probably gotten very fearful and stressed by his isolation and possible also somewhat feral. If there is any way you or another can stay with him f or some of the week he really needs it, and while cats normally do fine after a neuter, somebody does need to be with them at least for the first post surgery day.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you read about people getting viciously attacked with claws and teeth; biting so hard they draw blood. If your cat is doing that, then yeah use the squirt bottle when they do imo. 8 months is a long long time. I won't even leave my boys alone for 2 weeks without someone to give them cuddles if they wish it. It would be different if you were living there with him. Can you sleep over on the weekends? Can he be fostered by someone?