Located My Missing Cat, But Can't Catch It

Wisp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved to a new town about six months ago, my cat seemed to adjust fine, but about a month ago she went missing. At some point I got calls from people that spotted her in the grasslands a few blocks from my house. I went over there and confirmed it was her. However she he is very skittish and runs away when I approach her. A couple of times I saw her sleeping in the grass and called her, she was very close, but when she noticed me she ran away. She hides in a cornfield so it's impossible to get to her.

I've set a humane trap a week ago and checked it daily, changing the bait (tuna, wet catfood, baked chicken) but although she notices the trap, she hasn't gone fully in. I heard she went in once but got out without triggering the door. There are ditches filled with water nearby and she seems to live off corn, so maybe the bait isn't attractive enough.

So my first question is how to trap her, since this seems not to be working. But the real problem is why my cat is running away from me, would she recognize me? Or is she in some sort of survival mode? And if I trap her, how can I prevent her from going back there? She is used to be outside and I really prefer her to be free and explore her surroundings, I don't want to lock her up inside forever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wisp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here she is
Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 16.20.35.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 16.20.52.png

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's probably living off the mice that live by the thousands in cornfields, so she doesn't feel particularly like she needs to come home :/. That may change after the corn is harvested, or when it starts to get cold. But of course it's not safe to leave her out there if you can find a way to catch her.

Try something that's better than mice. Fried chicken and rotisserie chicken are popular trapping choices. Or some good smelly canned mackerel, if she likes fish.

Also, cover the bottom of the trap with cardboard and fluff some leaves and dirt on top. Cats hate to walk on wire and you want it to look like it's just a natural part of the landscape. If you place the cardboard correctly, it will also help the trap to spring better, as she doesn't have to step directly on the trip-plate.

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does she like laser pointers? A TNR volunteer I was chatting with shared a tactic she uses for hard-to-trap ferals. She uses a laser pointer and gets them chasing the red dot and slowly guides them into the trap before they realize it. I haven't tried it myself, but if she's used to playing with a laser pointer it might work?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fried chicken is a favorite bait, and I LOVE the idea of a laser pointer! Since she knows you, and only runs when you get TOO close, that might do the trick!

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tuna fish helped me catch feral cats before. Once you catch her you will have to keep her an indoor cat or this will keep happening. I've taken in quite a few outdoor and even completely feral adult cats and they were happy being only indoor cats with me for the rest of their lives. They never even tried to go outside . I live in a city with busy roads so never let any of my pets outside, they'd be run over and killed like my first cat was when I was a little kid.
If they're outside people can torture or poison them, coyotes or other wild animals can kill them, other cats can fight and hurt them, they can catch diseases and suffer, when they harvest the corn she can be run over and crushed or cut into pieces, she can starve, freeze, get heatstroke and suffer all kinds of horrible things and slowly die or have a lot of pain. Many wild animals are lucky to live one to three years.
My cats lived to be fourteen to twenty, most fifteen or sixteen. Two only lived to twelve from cancer but all of them had heat in the winter, air conditioning in the summer, best buddies to play with and cuddle with, soft comfortable places to sleep, canned and dry food they loved, treats daily, toys, catnip and never a moment of fear, pain or suffering.
When they got sick they got veterinary treatment and painkillers and kept comfortable until peacefully euthanized when it was their time.
Animals loving in the elements don't get that.

Wisp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she like laser pointers? A TNR volunteer I was chatting with shared a tactic she uses for hard-to-trap ferals. She uses a laser pointer and gets them chasing the red dot and slowly guides them into the trap before they realize it. I haven't tried it myself, but if she's used to playing with a laser pointer it might work?
She does like laser pointers, but somehow I doubt she is in the mood to play with the laser, also I suspect once I get close enough to use a laser, she will already hide far away, and off course the high grass and bushes makes it hard to show to laser. But I will try it tonight when it's dark.

Wisp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fried chicken is a favorite bait, and I LOVE the idea of a laser pointer! Since she knows you, and only runs when you get TOO close, that might do the trick!
Well she runs away when I'm within 300ft (100m) or so, the only reason I could get this close was because she was sleeping, the moment she woke up and noticed me she ran away. I doubt she recognized me. I can only see her using binoculars. I've tried fried chicken already but I guess I'll just have to keep trying.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when moving a cat to a new environment they have to be kept confined for at least a month, preferably 6 weeks to get oriented to a new place. Otherwise they wander, trying to find their way back 'home'. I knew of a vet tech that kept her new outside kitties in a large rabbit hutch outside in the shade. That worked well.
Just keep trying, it will happen eventually. Try sitting quietly and calling to her, she may get confident enough to come to you. Right now she is scared and trying to survive, The sight of any human is frightening to her. She may have been chased off from a few places. The trap will eventually work when she gets used to having it around. You might put a blanket inside that she slept on, or even a worn shirt from you to comfort her. I have had luck with a LARGE dog kennel with a cord tied to the door that swings in. If the door can't be made to swing in, pull the cord through the kennel along the 'roof' or top and string it out through a hole in the back, where you will be sitting. I've used 50 foot cords and remained hidden behind a bush. . When the cat enters and goes to the back to eat, I pull very quickly on the cord to shut the door. This works with sheds on the property too. All the luck!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never thought I'd be able to keep my girl in after being indoor/ outdoor too. The only reason she went out, was because she came to me from the neighborhood, so knew her way around, & stayed w/ in a 3 house radious, & I kept her inside at night.
(Or during any bad weather).
Once she came in for dinner, that was it, she was in for the night! She would usually go off for an hour or two, & slept in her bed on the porch a lot, because we were up high in an upstairs apt. of a house. I would have loved to keep her inside, but she was persistent beyond!! When we had the first hurricane storm of the season a couple of years ago, (Mathew, I'm in NC) I had to keep her in, so I got something from the vet to help.
Even on something, she would cry & paw at the door a lot. .....but she had to stay in.
Anyway, fast forward to a couple of months ago, I unexpectedly had to move, & unfortunately BK in w/ my parents for the time being. So....she is indoor only & did WAY better that I EVER thought she would!
I thought she might have to be on something for at least a week or two, but only had to use it (gabapentin) for moving day & the next morning! (Of course I followed all the tips on how to move w/ her & set up my room first & had a feliway diffuser plugged in the room a couple of days prior to us coming. As well and a month before at hm w/ all the packing) she did well, & was even up on the bed with me the first night!
SO, sorry for the loong post, But...I just wanted to assure you that it is possible to transition a cat to indoor only. I Never thought I'd be possible with Sammie!
She has her tree in a window at the end of my bed, & now, two months later, she hangs out in the living room, in the evening w/ my parents, more than w/ me! I've got one of her blankets at the end if the couch on two of our old couch pillows, & she likes to lay there. Also, my dad will play laser pointer w/ her on the rug in there!
You just have to make sure you give her some playtime everyday, so she doesn't get bored, & you can plant a nice pot of cat grass for her too.
I hope this helped in some way. Good luck, & I pray you catch her soon! Her safety is most important.

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, just read this post, did you ever get him? I lost my cat once and believe it or not, I got him back by putting the litter box out, I guess she needed a spot to poop. Anyways, I hope you got him.

Best of luck,

~Echy

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you haven't caught him yet, one big secret is to get down on your hands and knees. He Wil runaway if you walk towards him. So hope he's ok

Wisp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is found, but was injured, probably hit by a car. Fortunately she will survive but one of her hind legs are not working properly.

Wisp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
here's a vid of her now
according to the vet she will be alright

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH BLESS HER! I was evac'ed due to Flo, and am just now getting back to my normal schedule. This thread was my first stop here at TCS today, and WHAT WONDERFUL NEWS! Although I'm saddened that she is injured, she is home, and will recover, which is the best thing today!