Liver Test results and 17 year old cat, Vet is recommending Euthanasia.. Please respond asap.. scheduled today

Sartu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just need affirmation I am making the right decision. She is not eating period. Vet says her quality of life will be minimal.. I don't want her to suffer but I dont want to regret this. I have tried reglan, (for nausea) not helping
1651250878710.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sartu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just need affirmation I am making the right decision. She is not eating period. Vet says her quality of life will be minimal (hes not my normal vet).. I don't want her to suffer but I dont want to regret this if I have options. I have tried reglan, (for nausea) not helping. She is sleeping under the bed, not going to the bathroom..

1651251565513.png

1651251589860.png

1651251620389.png

Janiedoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to express my sympathy for what you, and your cat, are going through.
You said he isn't your regular vet? Can you get a second opinion?
I don't know about cats, but in humans, a high potassium level can be very serious. It can affect your muscles, including your heart. If the heart doesn’t pump efficiently, the blood doesn’t move through the system. It would also affect urination. I would think, that she would need IV fluids to help lower the potassium level. Is she swollen? If so, her kidneys and her circulatory system may be shutting down.
Again, I am so sorry for your plight. It cannot be easy, to be in the position of making a decision like this.

Sartu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just want to express my sympathy for what you, and your cat, are going through.
You said he isn't your regular vet? Can you get a second opinion?
I don't know about cats, but in humans, a high potassium level can be very serious. It can affect your muscles, including your heart. If the heart doesn’t pump efficiently, the blood doesn’t move through the system. It would also affect urination. I would think, that she would need IV fluids to help lower the potassium level. Is she swollen? If so, her kidneys and her circulatory system may be shutting down.
Again, I am so sorry for your plight. It cannot be easy, to be in the position of making a decision like this.
Thank you. She is not really swollen, very lethargic. We gave her fluids when she was examined and her body absorbed it immediately. My vet at the same clinic has moved on and I would not be able to get an appointment with her till next week.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Sadly, we cannot tell you whether you should or should not let your kitty go. I doubt if there's a single member here who hasn't faced the same issue with the much the same feelings. It is, painfully, an individual decision for each of us. It's so hard. You might read through this article that has things to think through as you consider this difficult decision: When Is It Time? – Making The Difficult Decision – TheCatSite Articles

Please know that you and your beloved kitty are in our thoughts. :redheartpump:

Sartu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly, we cannot tell you whether you should or should not let your kitty go. I doubt if there's a single member here who hasn't faced the same issue with the much the same feelings. It is, painfully, an individual decision for each of us. It's so hard. You might read through this article that has things to think through as you consider this difficult decision: When Is It Time? – Making The Difficult Decision – TheCatSite Articles

Please know that you and your beloved kitty are in our thoughts. :redheartpump:
thank you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have had to face this decision too many times to think about and it's always so difficult, especially when you don't have your regular Vet to guide you. Did this Vet give you any idea what is wrong with your sweet furbaby? To me, I would want to know if this is something that can possibly be cured, or at least know what the chances are. How long has it been since she stopped eating and going to the bathroom? Did the Vet say she has Hepatic Lipidosis? Did they try giving her an appetite stimulant? She must have been extremely dehydrated if her body sucked up the fluids they gave her. I guess my number one question is, do you trust this Vet? If you have a good feeling about him and what he is telling you, then you should be able to proceed with your appointment for later today with no regrets. If you don't, then definitely get a second opinion. (if you do that, you definitely need to force feed her to get her through the next few days. Cats can't go for more than a couple days without food before their liver's get wonky, and hers is already there :frown:. BUT, depending on what's wrong, the liver can regenerate, unlike other organs)

Our thoughts are with you :hugs: