Liver Flavor

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had a few days of soft stool and so I added some Purina Fortiflora to her food . I had it in the house from several months ago with the same problem. It works.
But she is WILD about the liver flavor in the stuff! However, the box does not say what kind of liver it is.Beef,chicken, lamb, etc. Just says Liver Flavor.
I am going to contact the Purina company this week to inquire.
QUESTION: Does anyone know of a liver flavor powder or topping I can get to sprinkle on top of her regular food each day? She loves the stuff.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
According to the article (see link below), FortiFlora has flavoring in the form of animal digest (a hydrolyzed pork/poultry ingredient now called “liver flavor”).
FortiFlora Probiotic For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects - Cats.com
You could look for toppers containing either pork or chicken liver. Here are a couple of examples, but I am sure there are others out there.
100% Chicken Liver Powder Pet Food Topper — Superior Feline
PRIMAL Liver, Laugh, Love for Cats! Simply Pork Flavored Crunchy Cat Treats, 1.5-oz bag - Chewy.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I am on the reluctant side, though after reading your links,FEEBY"s Owner. High protien and renal disease don;t get along. Too much liver on the food,particularly pork liver is packed with Vit A and may be bad for the osteo.
I thought it would be a great food additive, but I am giving it deep thought because she has been eating like a house on fire with the Fortiflora on top.!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
High protien and renal disease don't get along.
That is pretty much old school thinking. The more current view is that lowering protein is not really appropriate for cats who have kidney disease, especially older cats. Protein is usually only lowered in cats who are in the final phase of CKD to help temporarily preserve what kidney function is left at that point. I think the thought process is that concern over muscle mass loss that can be exacerbated by restricting protein isn't quite as big of a worry when a cat's kidney disease has reached that stage.

I thought you had been provided with this web site to read up on all the aspects of kidney disease in cats, but maybe not...I've linked to the specific area of this site that discusses nutrition and included information about protein and muscle mass loss.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Nutritional Requirements (felinecrf.org)

Last edited:

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last time she was tested she was in stage 2 high. She goes again in Aug for the next tests.
I am just overly cautious. Perhaps we'll give the Primal mentioned above a bit of a go and see if a light use will work.
I will crush them in the Bullet and sprinkle on top of her wet food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd give it a go! Feeby is in Stage 3 and I have not lowered her protein because there comes a point in time when getting a cat to eat becomes more important than what they are eating.

Feeby loves Forti Flora too! But I have now restricted using it to get her to take some of her meds. I found out some time ago that a cat - or at least Feeby - can tire of it when given it too much. I was sprinkling it on the foods she seemed more reluctant to eat, and that almost stopped working. So, I quit and then re-introduced it later for sprinkling just enough to cover her meds. It probably takes me a week or longer to go through one pack of it, but this way she still takes meds that she refuses without it

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd give it a go! Feeby is in Stage 3 and I have not lowered her protein because there comes a point in time when getting a cat to eat becomes more important than what they are eating.

Feeby loves Forti Flora too! But I have now restricted using it to get her to take some of her meds. I found out some time ago that a cat - or at least Feeby - can tire of it when given it too much. I was sprinkling it on the foods she seemed more reluctant to eat, and that almost stopped working. So, I quit and then re-introduced it later for sprinkling just enough to cover her meds. It probably takes me a week or longer to go through one pack of it, but this way she still takes meds that she refuses without it
I hear you when you talk about getting them to eat . My Louise was only 8 lbs last fall. Since then , with the help of Royal Canin renal foods being rotated and some crazy self made toppers, she is up to 10.9 lbs. Her coat is drastically brighter due to the Omega 3 treats I give her. But I am a fan of home made toppers made with the Bullet. They help so much.