Liver disease

Terra.crouch3163

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm a new member and I hope someone can give me a bit of advice; my 11 year old cat was diagnosed with fatty liver disease and chronic kidney failure about a few years ago. Due to sickness in the family among other things, I dont have the money to take Rubber to the vet. I know. I'm ashamed of it to.

I had a cat from chewy tell me if hes eating the fatty liver thing is probably gone. Is this true? Does anyone have suggestions on a cat food that would be beneficial with his two coditions? If I had to pick one, which would be better, the denamarin or milk thistle?

He hasn't had his blood work done in several years. I recently moved gone from CO and I cant lose him, he's all i have left. Sorry to be dramatic. Thank you for your help.

Theres my old man : )

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm a new member and I hope someone can give me a bit of advice; my 11 year old cat was diagnosed with fatty liver disease and chronic kidney failure about a few years ago. Due to sickness in the family among other things, I dont have the money to take Rubber to the vet. I know. I'm ashamed of it to.

I had a cat from chewy tell me if hes eating the fatty liver thing is probably gone. Is this true? Does anyone have suggestions on a cat food that would be beneficial with his two coditions? If I had to pick one, which would be better, the denamarin or milk thistle?

He hasn't had his blood work done in several years.
I recently moved gone from CO and I cant lose him, he's all i have left. Sorry to be dramatic. Thank you for your help.

Theres my old man : )
Rubber is very handsome, T Terra.crouch3163 :)
(he looks exactly like my cat, tripp.) :blackcat:

Not really sure if fatty liver (hepatic lipidosis), leaves any scar tissue behind on the liver, but since your Rubber is eating, after so many years, then I would not worry so much about this, but rather concentrate on trying to get him to eat a lower phosphorus wet cat food, with lower salt content.

Have you looked at the 'data food tables' on Tanya's CKD website...to try and find a wet food that is low phosphorus, and also within your budget?
http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm
If you can find one under 0.5% phosphorus, or as close to it, as possible, then that would be good.
(Also, making sure that Rubber has fresh water, daily, and many water bowls around.)

With the liver issues, and denamarin versus milk thistle for cats,...I am also not sure which is best.
Milk thistle is less expensive, but can also have side-effects, so it would be good to read up all you can, before choosing one.
It's also difficult to make a choice, without a Vet's advice, since I'm not sure about the latest info. on products.

(with one of my previous rainbow cats I was told to give him zentonil adv, which contained SamE and silybin (milk thistle).
He only took it for a short time, though, until his liver values were normal, again. He was felv+ and fiv+, and had jaundice, for awhile.
He was also under 2yrs at the time.)

From reading, both denamarin and milk thistle could have side-effects, so it's good to read up on those, too, since you would not want to cause Rubber to go off his food, or vomit, have an allergic reaction, etc

Like with all medications, and supplements, there can be side-effects.
Denamarin For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects - All About Cats
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&catId=102894&id=4951818
Also, this site mentions dogs, but it can apply to cats, too, just at lower cat doses:
Denamarin vs Milk Thistle: We Asked a Vet | Hepper

Take a look at some of these sites, which might help...for those in the States or UK:
(not sure if some links are broken, but it might be a start)
Plus phoning pet rescues, and shelters, may lead some contacts to other Vet clinics,...which may help.)

Try calling all Vets, and ask about what you can do, and their costs, any payment plans,...or if any places have 'low cost vet clinics'...or 'cat rescue groups', humane society, or local cat shelters, too.

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles
21 Organizations That Help Pay Vet Bills!
Financial Aid for Pets
https://www.k9ofmine.com/organization-that-help-pay-vet-bills

How is your Rubber eating now?
Is he eating normally, and peeing, pooping normally, too?
Is he still active, and playful.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Curious as to what brought you here now since you are saying Rubber was diagnosed a few years ago. New health issues, such as not eating as much, or??

I tend to think that CKD (chronic kidney disease) might be what you should focus on trying to treat. I am not saying that there might not be some liver damage from the fatter liver issue, but I believe it isn't considered 'progressive' like CKD is. Your cat is obviously 'over' the initial fatty liver issue - in and of itself - given this was diagnosed years ago. Tbh, otherwise he would likely not be with you today.

As mentioned above, lower phosphorus foods are helpful to cats with CKD, and it will be honestly hard, short of prescription food to get as low as the 'ideal' (0.5% phosphorus). Most will be a bit higher than that. But less is better - work that as the goal. Whatever Rubber eats today, you might also want to learn what the phophorus level is just so you know. You kind of have to do a balancing act on what you can find with lower phosphorus and what your cat will eat.

See what you can do to find out the costs associated with a CBC/Chemistry Panel and work toward being able to pay for that. Find out the cost of an exam too - as that will be inevitable if you need to start with a new vet or haven't been to see one in years and years. Those tests will tell you how Rubber's kidney - and liver - are functioning. This information can get the ball rolling on just what you need to focus on.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fatty liver disease can heal yes, though some cats will have scarring on the liver. But I would worry more about the CKD to be honest. I would suggest calling around to find out if vets offer a payment plan and looking for lower-cost vet clinics. Some rescues can offer rescue rates as well :) You do need full bloowork to see where the CKD is staged at. At stage 3 they do need subq fluids to help them feel better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Terra.crouch3163

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys, you've been great.

I havent looked at a site like this because I was researching on my own but felt I knew just enough to be dangerous, you know?

I believe he was having some side effects from the denamarin, and since the vet from chewy also said it was probably the best idea to focus on his kidney issues I haven't been overly concerned was a liver. I have read tonya's comprehensive book, article, all the info that she provides. It's just a little too much for me to comprehend. I have been looking at the phosphorus content and because I haven't been able to get him to the vet I have been trying to buy the commercial food that she says has the least phosphorus in it. I can't get him to eat some of the low phosphorus specific Foods. I tried slowly introducing it I tried a lot of different Avenues. He's just not saying. He's spoiled. Unbelievably so. His activity eating bowel movements things of that nature haven't changed he still up my but most of the time and purring most of the time.

Actually he probably purse more now than he ever has, but the living situation for him is much better now. I know that sometimes cats purr when they're in pain but this is a very happy love you Mom/let me love on you with head but kinda purr. I just know that with the kidney issue I may not have him in a few more years and i want to make them the nest for him.

With my dad having blood clots in his lungs, mom being diagnosed with MS and all my mental health issues, and lack of transportation for job prospects until recently, i've just not been financially about to get him to the vet for yearly blood work. It's very frustrating and have went to some rather extreame measures to afford the science diet food with the least phosphorus that isn't prescription. Thank God for tonya comprehensive guide, right?

I was giving him phosphorus binder but felt it was irresponsible to do so without knowing his level.

I've lost his brother and sister (one from getting outside -he had kidney stones-, the other from a blood clot, so they were a sickly bunch God love'em) the vet I went to that had payment arrangements just handed me his lab work to a vet tech and said to google it. Her and I have had some issues but what unprofessionalism. So I feel kinda like I have little choice but to see her. I swallowed my feelings and took him to her but after thus last time with the paper work...

Thank you all so much for your answers I am grateful.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While I think a vet who would just hand over test results without any discussion is an awful vet, at least the lab work should be reliable - and many of us here could at least tell you a bit about what to look for in terms of 'less than ideal' numbers. The actual lab results also usually contain ranges for what is considered normal.

If your cat hasn't been seen by a vet for a number of years, he probably should have an exam. However, if finances are too tight right now, but you can find a way to pay for new blood work, you could call the vet's office and ask if they would approve new blood work being done without an appointment - and, explain to them that you are working on getting the money together for an exam but would like to see what his numbers look like now. They might say OK and if so, most vets just tell you to bring your cat in at your convenience and a tech will draw the blood without an actual appointment. With copies of the lab results from a few years ago and new lab results, you could at least compare them and see how/if his numbers have changed.

Tanya's web site is overwhelming to be sure, and I continually go back and re-read parts because there is no way I could possibly comprehend it all at one time - or multiple times for that matter.