Little red sore on cat's face

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought this little mark underneath my cat's eye was just his white fur stained by a bit of eye goop but I've realised today it's a little wound. I'm now wondering if there is another one forming under his other eye?
He doesn't seem troubled so I don't think this is a vet issue yet (happy to be told differently). Thought I'd gently wash it with some salty water.
Any ideas what this could be?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just adding that his eye rims look a bit red. He's been napping under the bed and I think the dust irritates them.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am guessing that there is some irritation or itchiness going on with his eyes that he has scratched himself below that eye. If he does not normally hang out under the bed, then it could be a dust/dirt allergy. Try cleaning under there to remove any excess dirt/dust and see if that helps, or give him someplace else to hide.

Why is he suddenly hanging out under the bed - could he be ill causing him to 'hide'? How is he doing otherwise? Does he have any history with allergies or viruses? Watch to see if he is rubbing his eyes.

You might call the vet and tell them about the eye rim redness and ask if there something they would advise you to use while you see if you can find a source. Doesn't hurt to tell the vet you suspect an allergy and why. They might be more willing to suggest an OTC eye drop to help soothe his eyes. You could even send them pics so they can see it for themselves.

I would refrain from using salty water to wash that spot - too big of a risk of some getting in his eye and causing more irritation. You could try chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with a Q-tip, cotton swab, or a soft cloth. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!
Both of my cats have always loved sleeping under the bed. I have a playpen folded up under there and they love to lie on it. Perhaps moving that somewhere else and doing a good vacuum is step one. It hadn't occurred to me that he might have scratched there himself.
Thanks very much for your help.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!
Both of my cats have always loved sleeping under the bed. I have a playpen folded up under there and they love to lie on it. Perhaps moving that somewhere else and doing a good vacuum is step one. It hadn't occurred to me that he might have scratched there himself.
Thanks very much for your help.
Have you brought anything into your house recently that could have caused irritation? For example, I once brought home a new basket to put shoes in by the front door and my late cat started to scratch it as a scratching post. A few days later he developed a similar wound near his ears where he had been scratching and the vet said it was likely allergies, but couldn't tell me what. I figured out that it was likely whatever the basket was treated with that was causing the itch. I removed the basket and his ears eventually healed up.