Little Guy Won't Use Litter Box

mharper215

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
5 days ago I rescued 3 kittens, whose mom was feral and killed by the neighbors dogs. They're doing so good and I believe are about 6-8 weeks old. 2 of them took to the litter box within the first 5 minutes. The smallest one however refuses. If I see him scratching at the floor I will pick him up and put him in and he will just not go. Now I have him in an area after he eats where it is just him and the box and as of today he will pee in it but will poop on the ground. Today I bought the puppy pee pads in place of the box (vet recommendation) and am waiting to see the outcome. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try newspaper. My mothers cat would only poop on sheets of newspaper. Easy to clean up too.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might also try getting a tinfoil pan from the grocery store (disposable baking pan), and cutting one side way down so that he can just step in. If he is tiny, that climb might just be a bit much for him. Experiment with different litters, but do NOT use clumping ones, as babies explore with their mouths, and this can cause intestinal obstructions. A paper based litter might do the trick.

And thank you for taking these little guys in. They'd have had short, miserable lives if not for you!