Litterbox Desperation

RagsToRiches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I'm in need of advice regarding my cat's toileting issues. She's 8 years old, and I rescued her about 4 months ago. The first few weeks I had her she was perfect with her litterbox habits. As time went on, however, she began pooping in various places outside the box-- sometimes in her bed, on the couch blankets, on the floor, or under furniture if I'm in the room, I guess so I can't see her in the act. I took her to the vet because I had read that this could be a sign of an underlying medical condition, but they assured me that nothing was wrong and that it was just anxiety related. I've tried everything I can think of to make her stop. I've gotten a Felliway defuser to make her more calm, I've tried increasing the amount of times I clean out the litterbox per day, I've tried changing her diet, all to no avail. I'm quite desperate at this point because cleaning up feces off of various surfaces in my house multiple times per day is beyond frustrating and probably not so great for one's health either.

A quick note on her poop: It is greenish-tan and soft, but not liquidy like diarrhea. It leaves a bit of residue on the surface where it's picked up from. I generally find it in multiple spots, like she started the bowl movement in one spot and ended in another, almost like a trail.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I'm thinking out loud here, but can you go back to the beginning? Can you use the same litter she'd gotten used to at wherever she was before, and the same food? Is there anything she is coming in to contact with in your living space that she could be ingesting?
Can you try some low volume music, either the app Relax My Cat, or kusc.org?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she an only cat and an only pet? Any changes to your household including new furnishings or new people? How about outside cat visiting windows? I wonder about these things because a cat pooping where they sleep is pretty unusual. Makes me think there might be something she is fearful of that is making her not get up or use her box. I would also set out litter boxes in every room she is currently pooping in.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RagsToRiches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! Yes, she is my only pet. I live in an apartment complex, and I have seen a couple of wild cats running around the property, but I live on the third floor, so she doesn't come in contact with them. Do you think maybe she smells them?
About a month after adopting her, I had a new roommate move in. A couple weeks later, the pooping began. I have thought that it might be correlated, but the problem is only getting worse, and my cat is pretty used to my roommate by now.
Also, I did recently get new furniture (a couch and coffee table) but she has never shown any aversion to them. She likes to sleep on the couch and under the coffee table.
The thing that confuses me most is why she would continue to pee in the litterbox, but refuse to poop there?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for more questions, but how is Sophie’s relationship with the roommate? Does she go to this person for pets or interact with them? Where is her litter box or litter boxes located?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I don't know if you saw my reply above about trying music, and I think additional boxes may help.

RagsToRiches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Sorry I missed your post on the first round! For some reason I didn't see it.
Yes, that's a good idea! I will try to contact the person I got her from and ask the brand of litter she used previously. I think they told me she used clay, but didn't specify the brand. Are cats really picky about litter consistency? (This is my first cat, so I'm still learning-- I've only ever had dogs before!)
I used to give her the same brand of food that she'd always eaten, however I tried a new brand this past month to see if that would solve any problems (it didn't). But I will make a point of going back to the old one.
I can't think of anything in my home that she could be ingesting. She's not much of a chewer, and even so, my house is pretty cat-proof.
Hmm, I've never heard of that app. Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try it out!

RagsToRiches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No problem! She gets along with the roommate, but is not as close to her as she is to me. She will accept pets from the roommate and nudge and head-butt, but doesn't really sit on her lap or cuddle like she does with me.
My apartment basically consists of a foyer that leads from the front door into the main area, which is one big open floor plan (with a kitchen and living room) plus two separate bedrooms off of that room (both of which she is not allowed in). Her litter box is located in the foyer. I've tried moving it around to see if that would help the problem, but it hasn't.

RagsToRiches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I've definitely considered bringing a sample to the vet. I wish I had done it when I brought her there the first time.

RagsToRiches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm, good idea, it's definitely worth a try! She used to be okay with peeing and pooping in the same one though. I'm confused as to what caused the sudden change?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think maybe she smells them?
I'm guessing she does, and you're right, this could be causing some emotional distress for her. I'm hoping the music helps her to relax, if it's this sort of thing that's bothering her :)

Music for Cats could help as well, as mentioned by @daftcat75 an album formulated especially for cats so it has tick tocks and purring and heart beats and stuff cats like. I have this playing for Krista in the front room when I’m away, or working in the other room. I call it her “cat rock.”
Home musicforcats

Last edited:

RagsToRiches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought the same thing, but I did some research and found that it could be a result of the color of the cat food. Either way, I think I'll take a sample to the vet.