Litter Training Kittens

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have 3 kittens from one of the strays from outside i took them inside al most 3 weeks ago when i discovered them they were about 4 weeks max at that point i made a tiny litter box for them and they wont go near it or the big litterbox my big boy uses they keep doing it behind this blanket thats hung on the wall or piles of clothes

when i had kittens 10 years ago they went to the litter box naturally and so did my boy 3 years ago when i first got him he naturally could use it so not sure why they wont my boy did pee in it once so maybe thats it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah i put them into litter box they jump out right away i guess living under my house for there first 3 to 4 weeks of life taught them t go anywhere

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I actually got some great tips from my mom about this very problem, when I rescued a herd of cats a few years ago.

She suggested I add some dirt or sand from outside, something that, if the kittens had been doing their business outside, they would be more familiar with.

I mixed about a 70/30 mix of dirt and litter and gradually decreased the dirt and increased the litter.

Being kittens they may take issue with the consistency or size of the litter granules. So I suggest a litter that is of a finer texture, more sand or dirt like.

Hope this helps!

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I actually got some great tips from my mom about this very problem, when I rescued a herd of cats a few years ago.

She suggested I add some dirt or sand from outside, something that, if the kittens had been doing their business outside, they would be more familiar with.

I mixed about a 70/30 mix of dirt and litter and gradually decreased the dirt and increased the litter.

Being kittens they may take issue with the consistency or size of the litter granules. So I suggest a litter that is of a finer texture, more sand or dirt like.

Hope this helps!
yeah ill try this earlier saw one try to go on the carpet i picked him up and took him to litter box he jumped out right away and then 1 minute later he did it on the carpet i heard your suppose to put there nose up to it right after so they see what they done is wrong

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can, try to soak up some of their urine in a tissue and place that in the litter box. Then let the kitten smell it, in the litter box. And then gently use its paw to cover it. This is so they smell their own scent, and hopefully learn that's where they are supposed to pee.

There's no point putting their nose to where they go outside the litter box, as they don't know it's wrong, and possibly smelling their own urine scent will just think it's ok to continue going there.

The suggestion to use some soil on top of the litter is a good one. If you can, however, use unfertilized potting soil, as regular outside dirt could have bugs or other contaminants in it that you wouldn't want to bring into your home.

How old are the kittens now?

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can, try to soak up some of their urine in a tissue and place that in the litter box. Then let the kitten smell it, in the litter box. And then gently use its paw to cover it. This is so they smell their own scent, and hopefully learn that's where they are supposed to pee.

There's no point putting their nose to where they go outside the litter box, as they don't know it's wrong, and possibly smelling their own urine scent will just think it's ok to continue going there.

The suggestion to use some soil on top of the litter is a good one. If you can, however, use unfertilized potting soil, as regular outside dirt could have bugs or other contaminants in it that you wouldn't want to bring into your home.

How old are the kittens now?
i think 7 weeks i got them like lil over 2 weeks ago i saw one randomly on my porch is there anyway tot ell around how old they are?