Litter Training 6 Week Old Kittens?

Spask

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off, hi everyone! I brought home these little girls (still working on names) last Monday:

My sister feeds the neighborhood strays and one of them had a litter of kittens under her porch. She adopted one, and I took the other two. They're very sweet and friendly.

I'm currently keeping them in a big dog crate with their bed, food bowls and litter box and take them out for supervised playtime in my room. The Siamese-looking kitten is great about using the litter box and has only had one accident (after noticing her sister pee outside the box.) The black one, on the other hand, has chosen my carpet about 4 times. A couple questions...

1) What's the best way to discourage them from peeing in the same spot again? I did some research and I was planning on buying an enzyme cleaner, but is there anything I can do to deter them in the meantime?

2) How can I avoid future accidents? I always watch them while they play and try to be diligent about plopping them in the litter box but the black one doesn't always give much warning. Shorter play sessions? Maybe another litter box outside the crate?

Thanks in advance!

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can try another litter box outside the crate.
Does the litter have a soft texture or is rough?
Kittens paws are very tender at that age.
Here's an idea for names for them; Siamese- Princess
Black-and-white Mischief

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spask

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I'm using World's Best "Zero Mess" litter.
Fresh Scent Cat Litter | Zero Mess

Would it be worth trying a different brand or should I give it a little more time?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, I always seemed to give my cats food names! Like Marshmallow, Caramel, Oreo, Butterscotch. But now I like to give them real girl and boy names, since they are like my children.

Spask

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to add, the black one also pees outside of the litter box INSIDE the crate. She seems to prefer the corner. I've tried moving the litter box to the corner where she pees but then she just switches to a different corner.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Be persistent at 6 weeks the little black one may be just a little slower maturing and being able to control when and where she goes.
I crate raised mine and have no regrets because we established excellent litter box habits before they got more space. I used cheap disposable foil pans at first. they were easier for the kits to get into.
Don't plop the kit in the litter box put them in and use show them by holding a paw how to scratch the litter.
Try different litters.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can try a litter attractant just for kittens: Kitten Attract™ - Dr. Elsey's

Are the kittens able to get into the box easily? If not, add a "step" of some sort. I've used old phone books in the past but those are probably hard to come by now.

Spask

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I woke up to another puddle outside the box at 5 AM this morning. :( Going to make a trip to the pet store today and see if I can get a 2nd box and a different litter (are there any good alternatives to kitten attract in case they don't have it?)

One more question: Since the Siamese is consistently using the litter I already have, I don't want to upset her by abruptly changing it. Should I place the 2nd box with the new litter outside the crate and see if they use it first? Then change the one in the crate if they both like it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should try exactly what you have suggested. Also put doggie pee pads around the litter boxes.

When my four kittens were little, 3 of them learned very quickly, while one took a couple weeks to get it. She would go on the pee pads right next to the box. I kept putting her in the box and showing her how to dig with her front paw. Once she caught on she was fine.

It's sort of like having a toddler who is potty training. ;)

Nola Ignatius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can try a litter attractant just for kittens: Kitten Attract™ - Dr. Elsey's

Are the kittens able to get into the box easily? If not, add a "step" of some sort. I've used old phone books in the past but those are probably hard to come by now.
I'm also having a problem with a kitten using the cat box. I went to get Dr Elsey's kitten attract but didn't when I saw it was hard clumping. I thought clumping was bad for kittens. can I use it or not? I'm confused as what I can use on. 5 week old kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Five-week-old kittens have a hard time using the litter box in general. They are more ready at 6-7 weeks. Be patient! :)