Litter Question!

littlebrownbat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently took in a cat who had a litter of 6. They're just nearing 3 weeks now and we have a (big?) question.

My husband went to do some yardwork at his mother's and it turns out a cat they'd had in their care had FLV. It lived in the yard/on the deck and he didn't come into contact with it but he's pet the kittens (we always wash our hands beforehand but are unsure if that's enough) and we're very worried about him tracking it home on his shoes. ): I'm not sure if this is an over exaggerated concern or not but I figured it can't hurt to ask. Thank you and sorry for the bother! We'll be getting everyone checked as soon as we can but it may be a week before we can do so and it's a lot of kittens + mama (and maybe even our personal cats who have been vaccinated in the past) but we're kind of nervous. Sorry if this is a bother, I'm just worried!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlebrownbat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if I can edit my original post, but the kittens are doing well so far! Will they get any immunity from mom or should I be nervous? ;o; sorry ugh!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Distemper is very contagious but felv much less so.

So your hubbys visit shouldnt matter much.

If momma cat is a carrier, this may be more grave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlebrownbat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I was probably overreacting. Just nervous for them I guess. Thank you!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
We recently took in a cat who had a litter of 6. They're just nearing 3 weeks now and we have a (big?) question.

My husband went to do some yardwork at his mother's and it turns out a cat they'd had in their care had FLV. It lived in the yard/on the deck and he didn't come into contact with it but he's pet the kittens (we always wash our hands beforehand but are unsure if that's enough) and we're very worried about him tracking it home on his shoes. ): I'm not sure if this is an over exaggerated concern or not but I figured it can't hurt to ask. Thank you and sorry for the bother! We'll be getting everyone checked as soon as we can but it may be a week before we can do so and it's a lot of kittens + mama (and maybe even our personal cats who have been vaccinated in the past) but we're kind of nervous. Sorry if this is a bother, I'm just worried!
I would definitely get the cats checked asap that can b checked now..And get all other ones checked as soon as the vet will check kittens n MAMA cat..Like ASAP:goodluck:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can give a false positive when tested for FLV. This means if they do test positive do not despair. Wait and get them retested.